Firefox extension - Greasemonkey for 1.07

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i really want to get Greasemonkey. the version at addons.mozilla.org/ is for 1.5 but i've only got 1.07 :mad: have you got the last version's xpi? or do you know where i can download it? thanks.

i just found this link but it's for 3.xx which has the exploit. :(
    http://mozdev.elliptic.fr/greasemonkey/

do you know the name of the last version?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. Jeybird

Jeybird Guest

yeah.. now i know i can append that to see older releases.

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Iceni60-

Why do you not have Firefox 1.5? Is there some problem with it?

- HandsOff

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's abit long-winded (and i haven't really read-up on it so i don't fully understand it all myself :p) but it comes down to my using Linux - Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a new release every 6 months, all the software it comes with (including Firefox) is "frozen" until the next Ubuntu release. however, if there's a security issue they will release a bug-fix. and they do something called backporting (as in porting to something else) with security problems too. here's the official line on backporting Firefox 1.5 for Ubuntu. NOTE Dapper is the next release of Ubuntu.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=96595

because there are so many different distros of Linux (about 300) something like Firefox can't be tested on all versions. because of this new software versions will often break other programs in Linux - Firefox 1.5 breaks some programs in Ubuntu.

it's down to the distro maintainers to fix compatibility complications like this however, they are busy developing the next release of Ubuntu and they don't have the time for "fixing" Firefox when the last version works fine and it will be in the next release anyway. (Ubuntu is based on another Linux Distro called Debian. every 6 months a new Debain is released, from that point Ubuntu will develop in a different direction to Debian, then after 3 months the development swings back toward Debain so it will be compatibale with the next Debain release)

so, it's not so easy for a Linux Distro to just release a new version of software :eek: :D some Ubuntu people have installed Firefox and love it, but i think it may have broken other software, i'm not sure though. Opera is my main browser anyway so it's not such a big problem for me. i just wanted to try Greasemonkey.

also, do you know how to install something on Ubuntu? there's something called the Synaptic Package Manager. you run it then pick the program you want to install from a huge list within Synaptic. Synaptic will then install the program for you. there are usually some dependencies which have to be met for the software to work and it's great to have a program which will do it all for you: as Friefox 1.5 isn't being put into Synaptic atm, it means i'd have to manually compile Firefox myself which can be quite difficult.

here are the instructions for installing Firefox without using Synaptic.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion

that's it i think :D it's roughly correct but there might be some mistakes because i haven't made a point of reading about it!

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Okay, actually I am relieved to hear that. Here I am, finally getting used to Firefox, and start experiencing some problems. Apparently there is some sort of problem with fonts and crss.exe. It gets old. But anyway, I'll probably cling to Firefox until it sinks, me along with it.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.