Firefox "blip"

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Pfipps, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I was surfing a website and then went back to my yahoo homepage. In the upper right hand corner of the browser screen, I saw a black box roughly this size:

[][][]
    [][][]

I have no idea what it is. I did a search and found hits for "favicon hijacks," but I am running noscript in the browser. I am still not sure what's happening.

2. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Anyone? I am afraid to do any "mission critical" stuff right now.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What site are you visiting? Maybe a screen print will help.

4. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I was visiting the "real clear politics" website and the Des Moines Register website with NoScript in Firefox 2.0.0.11, and then I went to my Yahoo homepage. I can't reproduce it - it just appeared for about 5 seconds and went away.

5. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

If I got infected with malware, I know it would have gotten past both the Comodo HIPS and AVIRA, so I ran a-squared. It found two files (HP Games) otto.exe and Lemonade2.exe infected with Backdoor.Win32.Wootbot.gen and Backdoor.Win32.Rbot.aeu respectively.

However, it is most likely a false positive because virustotal came up as completely clean for the first file, but Previx came up as "Heuristic: Suspicious File With Outbound Communications" but the Prevx website says it has no unsafe "tendencies."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.