Firefox...before the first page is loaded I already have a question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Do I want to make Firefox my default browser? I don't even understand the significance of this.

Am I wrong in thinking when I click Firefox i use firefox, when i click the blue E i get internet explorer?

I'm sure there is a reason why they ask, however, i am going to be nagged with the question until I figure out the answer, or I make it go away and have to go through who knows what to change the setting myself.

Come on guys, give me a break!

-HandsOff

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can find some info on default browsers here

Attached Files:

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's some more - i think the significance of a browser being default is if you have something on your computer which needs to launch your browser, like a help file or going to the products web site.

you can change FF asking by going to tools>options and unchecking the default browser checking

Attached Files:

5. HandsOff

Thanks Iceni...only that exact same question is asked by IE6, at least firefox gives you the check now option, i think MS keeps you guessing...

only...i thought i understood it this way: you check "check to see" on the brower that is NOT your default browser. This guesswork is supported by the fact that it is checked in firefox, but not in IE and for now IE is my homeboy.
    Maybe that's what you were saying and you left out "by" in unchecking the box

But mostly thanks, because now I now where to find and change the setting so I can uncheck the hellish "ask me each time firefox starts" and relax...

-HandsOff

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it can be unchecked in IE too - tools>internet options>programs it's at the bottom of the programs options :)

7. DanL

DanL Registered Member

If you click a link in an e-mail, your default browser will open. Just another example.
    I played around with Firefox for a week or so, then switched it to default.
    The more I use it, the more I like it. :cool:

Dan

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

The only thing you'll really need IE for is Windows Updates.

9. HandsOff

I like the idea of an alternative browser, but I think I will try a few before I decide on which one. I'll know when I've found the right one when everyone in the crowd says it's the wrong one.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.