Firefox: are websites/web bugs able to access the PLACES.SQLITE file?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Snoop3, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

apparently this is the file that stores both your site history and bookmarks in FF. Seems suspicious to me that FF would store your bookmarks with other data and i thought i read previously that some sites were able to read your history of sites visited. I get the feeling that firefox is deliberately making it difficult to avoid tracking and privacy leaks.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i'm not sure if www's can do that with WebBugs ?

I do know for a FACT that BleachBit is the Only cleaner i've used that both identifies & cleans ALL SQLITE files, amongst All the other things :thumb:

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I too would be happier if bookmarks were separate from history. I like to completely delete places.sqlite once in a while as opposed to vacuuming it. Because bookmarks are part of places.sqlite, I first have to save them separately.
    [special mode on]BTW, if you don't trust Mozilla, just use some other browser that is better suited to your privacy requirements. I would suggest IE9. There's no point in expecting Mozilla to change their spying ways for which they are so well known.[/special mode off]

4. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Personally I am unaware of any exploit that is able to read the PLACES.SQLITE. The only things I am aware of that can view your web history in Firefox is a CSS exploit (Which has been since fixed). The other is a java script exploit that reads your cache for that particular session. If you have Firefox set to clear your cache after each session your are reasonably safe. See here for details: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313498 I guess there could be an exploit that reads PLACES.SQLITE but I am personally unaware of it in the wild.

5. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Examples of this?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Note the tags, "special mode" ;)

7. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks, i've been using BleachBit in ubuntu and the GUI is kind of bland compared to CC but it cleans a bunch of files. i searched around and i guess what i was worried about was called "history sniffing" and supposedly FF has solved the problem but still seems odd that bookmarks are added to history in one file...

agree with first part....as to "special mode", i guess that's supposed to be sarcasm or something...point is while FF is better about privacy than chrome(idk about IE, haven't used for 5 years or so + havent bothered to follow news on it), FF/Mozilla gets ~85% of its income from Google by making Google its default search engine/home page etc....that's est $85 million last year so i'm sure they're in on making this tracking+profiling business possible as much as all the rest of the browser co's and only do just enough to make the base happy... just like on the Flash cookies they finally got around to having an built-in option to delete them about 3 years after the fact and i'm sure we'll find out 2-3 years down the road that the tracking co's have found other means and FF will again be very slow to react - ITS A PROBLEM THEY'RE NOT INTERESTED IN SOLVING.

EDIT: here are some more accurate numbers apparently on Mozilla's $$$ from search providers:

In the 2010 report, Mozilla did not disclose the amounts it received from individual search partners, but said that payments from search services accounted for 98% of the year's revenues, or $121.1 million out of a total of $123.2 million.

from: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...lines_to_say_if_it_s_renewed_100M_Google_deal

note that they did reup with google per this link:

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/google-confirms-mozilla-deal-despite-chromes-ascent.php

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll take your word for it.

9. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Hi Vasa,

How do you to separate history from bookmarks with the places.sqlite ? :eek:

10. guest

guest Guest

I guess he exports the bookmarks and then re-imports them, lol.

11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Pretty clear to me.

12. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I don't really understand when it said "I first have to save them separately.":rolleyes:

13. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

The bookmarks. Save (export) the bookmarks first, delete places.sqlite, import the bookmarks back. At least that's that way I read it.

Seems like a like of effort for nothing, since you can have Firefox clear history on exit.

14. tlu

tlu Guest

This is done automatically daily by FF in the bookmarkbackups subfolder in your profile folder anyhow.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Very true though I don't know whether .json is more tractable than .html.

And as far as my previous post, yes, I meant exporting the bookmarks as .html before deleting places.sqlite.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

I only wanted to point out that manually exporting your bookmarks is usually not necessary as this is done by FF anyhow. It's sufficient to import your newest .json file to add your bookmarks to the (newly created) places.sqlite file.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Okay, that's good to know :)

18. tlu

tlu Guest

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, that was fixed a while ago and, as usual, people were all hysterical over the restrictions placed on styling visited links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.