Firefox and Java

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

The Mozilla/Firefox help forums are nearly hopeless (or at least that's what I've found), so I'll try here.

There seems to be a compatibility problem between Fox and the latest Sun Java, at least on my system -- quite often if I'm running an online game using Java, Fox will crash. I didn't have this problem with Java 1.4...b06 (that's "shorthand", obviously), but I upgraded (with uninstall first) to 1.5.whatever last week and it's been quite frequent since then.

Specific versions - my Fox is 1.0.1, presumably latest build (not sure what part of the "about" gives me that latter info). Java is 1.5.0_01-b08.

Anyone else run into this? And can you steer me to a reasonable workaround, or maybe even a specific topic over at the Fox forums?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Mike I run the new version 1.0.5 SJ on opera and firefox and so far it has worked well. Possibly you could try to reinstall SJ in case it didn't install quite correctly

bigc

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks bigc, done. I did it a little differently this time around, used the Manual Download link instead of Firefox's "missing plugin" thingie, and we'll see what happens.

I see Java's up to Update 2 now (I had Update 1 before), and hopefully that includes changes covering problem areas. I was interested to note that this time around, during download and installation the Java RTE was listed in the Extensions box, although Fox changed its mind after installation and decided it was a plugin after all.

And I'm mildly disappointed to note that the Java Control panel still only recognizes IE and Netscape -- however, if it works as a Fox plugin that's fine, if a little confusing. Wish someone would get the word to Sun that Fox is probably the #2 browser around these days.

Thanks again and best,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.