Firefox and Global Hooks

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mover, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mover

Mover Registered Member

I've had PG for a couple of months now and this is the first time I've seen Firefox ask for a Global hook. Anyone else have this happen to them ? Any ideas ? I've seen this topic listed before, but I can't see how an uninstall/reinstall will fix the problem.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I just let Processguard do its job and block the global hooks. Everything runs just fine. Processguard is doing its job. Or you could uncheck block global hooks in global protection options.

3. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Any idea why Firefox would ask for a global hook ?

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Its probably the website you are visiting trying to access the referrer list or your IP. The possibilities are endless...I just let Processguard block them.

5. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Check the image below to see whats happening. Right clicked on the BMW image and when I typed the first letter in 'File name' I got the warning msg

Attached Files:

• GH.JPG
      GH.JPG
      File size:
      134.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  6. sharysta

sharysta Guest

i've never had firefox attempt a global hook, but yahoo and msn messenger always want to. i block it all and everything works fine.

7. Carver

Carver Guest

My default browser is Opera, it has never asked for a global hook and nether has Firefox. I looked-up both on the protection tab, the golbal hooks box is not checked. So it would show-up as a attack on on the Alerts tab.

8. Mover

Mover Registered Member

If you'll notice in the picture I have posted above, I'm trying to save a jpeg and I'm at the point of typing the first letter of the filename when.... autocomplete kicks in. This is the exact moment I get the warning.

Now my question is, if I allow global hook privliage to Firefox, aren't I opening up a potential security hole for something malicious to use this hook thru Firefox in the future ? (If I don't allow the hook, I'll get constant false warnings unless I turn autocomplete off)

What really would be nice is if I had the option to get more detailed information on what exactly was triggering this global hook within Firefox in the popup warning message. Opinions ? (this can be applied to other browsers as well) Surpressing messages under certain conditions (like the one pictured above) would be one step better.

Special thanks to gottadoit for discovering where the problem was and being such great help.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  9. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

I find it is common to get a Global Hook alert when a MS common dialog (Open File, Save File, etc.) is called. This is not directly related to the application calling the dialog.

So, tell us what gottadoit discovered.

10. berng

berng Registered Member

Happens to me lot. When I exit Opera and with most programs after they do a print to my printer.

11. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Shutting down autocomplete eliminates the warning message for me. It would be nice to have the option of getting more details from the popup as to whats triggering the warning, especially with browsers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.