Firefox Adblock Plus Malware Domains Blocklist

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am currently running the latest version of Firefox with Adblock Plus (+Easylist). If I add the Malware Domains Blocklist to Addblock Plus will I see any significant impact on Firefox's performance/speed?

Also, I am currently using ClearCloud DNS Beta. Will adding the Malware Domains Blocklist to Adblock Plus be considered to be "overkill"?

Thanks in Advance.

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I wouldn't be able to tell you about Firefox since I use Chrome, but I guess it wouldn't be overkill. The thing is that when browsing, ABP has to lookup on it's blacklist the web address, also I really don't know how often that list is updated.
    On the other hand I can tell you ClearCloud DNS will resolve the request in milliseconds. Also their database is updated almost in real-time, usually every 2 hours. So I guess you can rely solely on CC and still be safe out there. :thumb:

3. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I do not think so, i use the Malware domain list as well together with the Easylist and Easy Privacy. I do not notice a slowdown with Firefox on my computer. As for Clearcloud DNS, i do not consider using it as well as overkill, i use Norton DNS personally.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, generally there will be at least some slight differences in blacklists, whether it is an extension, DNS service, browser or Host file. None of them catch them all, and there will be a LOT of overlap. The malware domain list in ABP used to cause slowdowns in my experience. However, it does not seem to be that way lately. I don't think there will be any issues with that plus maybe ClearCloud. I wouldn't go out of my way to add anything else that does the same job though, as, like I said, there will end up being a lot of overlap and potential performance issues.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

NO
    Why would a blacklist of domains increase the speed other websites load?

I see you have sandboxie so you not need it anyway.

6. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I think if you just use WOT + ClearCloud DNS + NoScript + Adblock is safe because the WOT and CC has a great blocklist.

If you still go through the CC and WOT the NoScript pa help prevent infection caused by the malicious site.

You also have a Sandboxie, I think that using these methods of security will be safe!

Hope this helps! :thumb:

7. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

TheKid7,
    After your post I subscribed to Malware Domain List. I've noticed absolutely no slowdown with FF opening, or with surfing site to site.
    If any slowdown exists, it's in milliseconds.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're making confusion. The user TheKid7 is mentioning this one http://www.malwaredomains.com/?p=251

Malware Domain List is a different one, and for what I know has no AdBlock Plus list. ~ Removed URL to Malware List Site as per Policy ~

-Edit-

By the way, the Malware Domains list is updated quite often.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  9. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Oops. I apologize. :oops:
    Thanks for correcting me, mOOnblOOd.
    I used the wrong name.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just added the EasyPrivacy subscription. Now I have the following subscriptions:

1. EasyList
    2. EasyPrivacy
    3. Malware Domains

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

If you go here:Blocking malicious sites with Adblock Plus

you would see this (performance impact):

There was also this comment last time but since Wladimir Palant has closed down the comments, so you won't see it now...

Personal views: It certainly serve it's purposes for some target users but if you use the likes of NoScript, then you probably wouldn't need it. If you are already using a hosts file or DNS service, then you have to weigh the cost vs benefits yourself. Re-read on what it does and consider if you need it....don't just listen to what I've said.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You can add Fanboy's List.
    BTW, I have seen No Browsing Slow-Down.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Using these three also:

1. EasyList
    2. EasyPrivacy
    3. Malware Domains

No slow downs at all...:thumb: :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.