Firefox 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I enabled the "Submit performance data" via Options and installed the about:telemetry add-on, just to see what it's being collected and I'm amazed to see the reporting info variety. I'll probably keep it for a week or so to help out Mozilla.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why use such things when there are search plugins that never gets out-of-date readily available?:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/
    http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html

Try this if you have to keep that:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Thanks, I'm thinking about changing to PDF-XChange Viewer Lite if I really like this.

3. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, it could be a different way of working. I'm glad web request will enable these other extensions. Imho, Chrome was crippled, in regards to extensions, for much too long.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Maybe. It's done everything I've needed for a while.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hehe, we users can be a picky crowd :)

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So very true. I suppose I am a bit of a Firefox fan boy. I try to like Chrome but it just does weird things like the Proxy slow down, some web sites render strange, plus the adblocking is not like Firefox.

Now when all these things get sorted in the near future maybe I will make it my go to browser. But for now its Firefox.

Still am hoping to notice this decreased memory usage but so far I have not.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't notice the huge improvements to memory. Right now I have Wilders open and a page that is streaming Flash media, and I'm right around 250Mb for Firefox, 16Mb for the plugin container. That's not terrible to me, as Flash is just a hog, plain and simple. I should add that, after surfing around most of the day and visiting most of the same websites, I don't believe they've quite tackled the "growing memory use" issue. I've kept an eye on task manager a lot.

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I get roughly the same. Three or so tabs open (no flash) and its around 150-170MB or so. Not terrible like you say but for me, it was around the same with version 6. So I'm not seeing any dramatic improvements with the browser unfortunately.

Agree about flash, its such a hog. I've been looking at task manager a lot as well and still see the growing memory usage occurring.

Not sure if a fresh install is in order or just add-ons mucking things up.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Barely better than the search plugin or even bookmarklet. I've found a userscript that works better. Actually, I'll just custom install PDF-XChange Viewer Free. The free Lite version isn't lighter at all.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't remember having to install an add-on but I'm not sure. Maybe it's that way for the "release version". IIRC, the Aurora builds come with it baked in but one still to turn it on when asked in the "first run".

I'm still waiting for Ubuntu to offer Fx7, though.

13. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

I used to make customization through "about:config" especially in network value.

After clean install or via 'help>about' in two different PC,I noticed network value back to default. see screenshot

any thoughts ? what best network value to increase speed/performance while I have 2Mbps ? I also noticed high memory usage in XP Pro

Attached Files:

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Some people say turning pipelining on helps... not sure about that.

15. abu shofwan

I used to change this value to set "true"

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

did you find that uninstall firefox 6 and make a clean install does it work better ?

i mean more fast , less ram ?

thanks
    cheers

17. abu shofwan

I did either but in XP still having high memory usage as screenshot.For speed,nothing difference between XP and win7.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i have an high memory usage under xp and w7
    in short the same of firefox 6

but securelogin 0.9.8 doesn't work 100% , i does not autologin automatically , i have always to click the key button :mad:

and i did not find an similar extension

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Securitya advisories have been released:
    https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html

20. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK thanks. I use quite a few of those search add-ons anyway. It was just a bit more convenient using Dictionary Search's context menu.

It's nice to have the choice of opening in the browser or not.

21. Daveski17

Remember you can drag the icon for it to the add-on bar in 'Customise ...' mode to make it a bit more managable. It is a pretty good extension though isn't it? It works well on SeaMonkey as well.

EDIT: Yeah well ... I spoke to soon, it's the only add-on that doesn't work with SeaMonkey 2.4! o_O

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Context Search will allow you to use all of those search add-ons in your context menu.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Thanks for the customize tip, Dave, but I believe I'll need to look elsewhere. Flash streams are stopping at random and going back to the "F" button screen, making me re-click them to get the streams and videos working again. I also noticed allowing websites in the white list is not always working. I suspect there are just some hiccups with it and Firefox 7.

24. Daveski17

That might explain why it hasn't been updated in SeaMonkey yet. So far I've not noticed any problems with it, but it's early days yet.

25. Daveski17

OK thanks. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.