Firefox 4 postponed again: Beta 11 Will Be Followed by Beta 12

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Beta 12 was confirmed officially by Christian Legnitto, Firefox release manager at Mozilla.

“The current plan is to build [Firefox 4.0 Beta 12] when the remaining betaN hardblockers are done. This is heavily dependent on fix and blocker creation rate.

“I will be doing some analysis to give people a possible date range, but as far as development is concerned everything is the same (fix as many betaN hardblockers as quickly as possible),” Legnitto stated.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firefox-4-0-Beta-11-Will-Be-Followed-by-Beta-12-182215.shtml

Firefox Planning: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2011-02-02#Firefox_4_.28Desktop.29

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

GAAAH the waiting is too suspenseful!!!!

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Wow! That's a lot of betas ... :eek:

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Firefox has made an enemy for life. :mad:

Not really. :p:D

Christmas 2011 we will have a new Firefox for sure. :D:eek::ninja:

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'd say let them iron out the bugs.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm not surprised.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep.... for the impatient there are always the betas.....

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Very kind responses to Firefox's buggy development and delay;) :p

9. elapsed

As bad as needing so many betas is, it's better than "certain other browsers" that just rush a full major version and fix the bugs later.

10. guest

guest Guest

Even that is still better than the misleading strategy of changing the stable version first number without adding major new features/changes.
    http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/02/dash-of-speed-3d-and-apps.html

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

:cool: Are you blind ? Guess not, you're just being kind. Firefox also will out out a full major version and fix the bugs later. For Firefox version 3.6. it has put out 13 updates to fix bugs, so now at version 3.6.13. What's so different ?:p

12. guest

guest Guest

Most of these 13 updates were mainly security related and one of them (3.6.4) added a major new feature that IE and Chrome already had but Opera (as of today) still hasn't: isolation of plugins.

Opera rushed v11 stable with one of its main features broken: mouse gestures.

You can know what kind of showstoppers Opera allowed in their original v11 release by looking at Opera 11.01 changelog: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1101/

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This thread is about Firefox, so let's keep the discussion focused.;)

:eek: Why did Firefox put a "stable" version 3.6 with security vulnerabilities to be fixed later on ? Also with a "stable" version still add a new feature ? o_O

If another browser did these, the responses would be not so kind as those we now see here.:p

14. elapsed

Oh.. my.. gawsh.....
    You are just SO RIGHT! Every thread you post in becomes another rollercoaster of new information that inspires me to want to use Opera more.

//////facepalm

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thank you !:-* But I really think you are better off with Firefox.:p

16. guest

guest Guest

My guess is that Mozilla developers didn't know about the existence of those specific vulnerabilities at the time of 3.6 release. Otherwise, these vulnerabilities would be considered showstoppers and would postpone 3.6 release.

Let's remember that Firefox 3.6 was released back in January 21, 2010. More than a year ago. So, 13 new minor versions in more than a year is completely normal. Microsoft, for example, makes a IE cumulative patch near every month. While it doesn't change the IE version number, the kind of fixes that these monthly updates bring with them is equivalent to what these minor updates to Firefox tend to fix.

And the Lorentz new feature (plugin isolation) is a stability improvement more than everything else and was put under Firefox 3.6.4 released back in June 22, 2010.

The last remind: Firefox's code is under a bigger scrutiny than the Opera's code because Firefox is a more popular/more used browser; a more desired potential target for crackers that want to reach and exploit a larger audience.

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks for your enlightening explanation !:thumb:

I greatly respect Firefox for the improvement it has undertaken and wait in anticipation of its future version 4 release. *puppy*

18. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

thank u for the explanation :thumb:

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I hope it comes out soon. I'm having a lot of problems with the latest build of FF 3. 90 percent of the time I download an installer from the internet the download becomes corrupted, and windows says the installer can not be used and to try to download it again. I downloaded over 20 installers, and only 10% of them would work. I had to switch to Opera to finish updating my machine. Firefox is my favorite browser so i'm not a FF basher. I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I'm beta testing Online Armor, and several other testers reported the same problem. We thought it was OA at first. After only using Windows FW I discovered OA was not the problem. I still use FF for surfing, but if i download an installer I use Opera for now to save myself a headache. I'm not sure it would be worth reporting since V4 comes out soon unless the same bug gets included in 4. One thing i noticed with FF for a while even before this was that at the end of every download it seemed like the download would just hang or freeze, and take forever before finishing.

20. guest

guest Guest

I tried, but couldn't reproduce any of these issues here. Must be something particular to some setups.

If you are sure that no other program has any responsibility for this issue: make a complete uninstall of Firefox and install it again to see if the problem goes away.

21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agreed. I would recommend trying the FireFox build 3.5.16 over the 3.6 builds.:cool:

22. Cutting_Edgetech

That is always a possibility. I didn't trouble shoot the incident very much because I did not have the time. About your recommendations.. I did not uninstall FF, but I did roll my machine back to an image only a month after installing Windows 7, and then updated FF. I had the same problem. If its not FF then it could be Prevx Safeonline or NOD 32. Those were the only real-time apps I was running on the machine at the time of incident. I did have OA installed, but that was before I rolled back my machine only to find I still had the same problem. I'm not sure if i had anything else on my machine that could have caused this. Are you a coder or beta tester for FF?

23. elapsed

Your patience with people inspires me, well done. :thumb:

24. tlu

tlu Guest

So I suggest that you temporarily disable these apps and see if your problems persist. If they do, one or more extensions might be responsible - start FF with --safe-mode and see if your problems persist. If they still do, your FF profile might be corrupt - create a new profile by starting FF with the -p option. Generally I recommend the Standard Diagnostic when running into FF problems.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the suggestion tlu! I will check to see if maybe it's one of my extensions first by running FF in safemode, and if that does not work then I will try disabling Prevx & NOD 32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.