Firefox 4 Beta 1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pbmcmlxxi, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Someone needs to stir the drinks around here ;)

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It doesn't exactly have to be game-changing. The extensions framework already does that.

The problem with Firefox is its fugly default UI and speed. Fixing the UI is easy. Fixing the speed, not so easy. But Firefox doesn't actually have to beat Chrome at performance, it just has to raise its game to a competitive level, and there'll honestly be little reason to use any other browser, except perhaps IE9.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, speed. Firefox (or any browser) just isn't worthy unless it tops the mighty benchmark test :rolleyes: :( For me, (and I'm saying me, this isn't an invitation for anyone to start a browser war in the thread), FF has always performed better, both in speed and function. I'm not going to Google up a data sheet or test to prove it, it just is what it is on my machine. Chrome is, hmm, "quirky"? Opera stutters and jerks when it renders anything more than a text page. IE, well, IE is just IE.

Anyway, not trying to derail the thread. I'm a happy FF user, and while I appreciate improvements, if I wanted a browser that was a copy in either looks or functionality of another browser, I'd use the other browser.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Nor am i but when i see this :

....... maybe the firefox developers should stop tryin to win the beauty pageant and put "ALL" their time and effort into fixing issues which have plagued this browser for years. Simple!

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't care about the "tab candy" either. It's not a necessary improvement. GPU rendering, however, I see as a worthy change.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You apparently substituted the part where I said "Firefox doesn't actually have to beat Chrome at performance" with your own rhetoric.

I'd agree that page rendering speed is fine. Startup speed and responsiveness when using DHTML-heavy web apps are unacceptable though. On my own machine it performs decently, when I bring portable Firefox along and use it on not-so-well-maintained computers, the performance difference with Chrome is huge.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No no, I wasn't substituting anything you said. I just said that because speed seems to always be used to either praise or denounce browsers. It can be top notch in other areas, but if it doesn't beat out such and such, then it's deemed inferior. That's a people problem more than a browser problem. Speed is and always will be an important factor, but not to the extent so many take it these days. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea.

8. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Last thing I read said October, couple months ago.
    Now November. :(
    What are they waiting for, Christmas! :D

Also, I'm trying to prevent DNS Rebinding attacks by clicking as few links as possible. :D

Thanks JR

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

It could be a nice present. ;) You're welcome! Take care.

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Firefox 4 Beta 6 is now available!
    Get it Here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.