firefox 31 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Same here. Perhaps mantra had the DoNotTrackMe add-on previously installed, and somehow remnants of it triggered that link opening.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I haven't updated my XP yet, I ll post about this tonight after I get this update done. Foxy 31:cool: is working nice in W7.

Bo

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

And same in my XP.:)

Bo

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good to know, Bo. Thanks for posting back.

6. siljaline

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

FWIW, I think these links get closer to the details for the new anti-malware feature:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Features/Application_Reputation_Design_Doc
    https://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-rel...omponents/downloads/ApplicationReputation.cpp

The metadata at risk of being sent to Google appears to be:
    I expect the separate cookie jar cookie would go out in these requests as well, and together with things like the SafeBrowsing wrkey, static IP Addresses, etc allow for history building.

The "no way to determine if a user initiated the download" implies that such lookups might be triggered by extension/other activity. If they are stripping URL params... from *all* the URLs in #1, which I haven't presonally verified yet... that is good and would reduce the risk of sensitive info leaving via that route. There would, however, still be the potential for sensitive info leaving via other URL components including path. I haven't thought through #3 above and what it might communicate. I *think* #5 might be just the filename and therefore not include path/directory components, but I'm not certain yet. It sounds like we'll see the fuller implementation in FF32 and so I'm not spending much time on it.

Based on some comments elsewhere, I get the impression that there currently is NOT interest in providing for better tuning. Which would include:
    • Disabling just the remote lookup portion
    • Configuring it to prompt you when the local lookup isn't conclusive, so that you can decide whether or not to allow the remote lookup for what you are downloading
    • Being able to setup exclusion patterns for private networks/machines
    • Being able to prune the list of file extensions checked. It looked to me as though .zip files would be looked up, and although there are cases where people would want that, there are also numerous cases where .zip file sharing/downloading doesn't involve an executable and may be too revealing.
    I hope they change their minds and make it more flexible. If anyone can shed more light on it at this point, please do.

9. siljaline

FF Scanner.png

I've opted out of the report Bad Sites to Mozilla and Google option that is now baked into the Browser.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

When I updated to 31, I noticed there was a new altered preference visible in about:support, browser.cache.frecency_experiment, I'm not yet sure what it's for.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In FFv31 (release channel) browser.cache.frecency_experiment is set to "3" by default. Any Idea what that means?

13. TheWindBringeth

https://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release/source/netwerk/cache2/CacheObserver.cpp#181
    Code:
    181 switch (sHalfLifeExperiment) {
    182   case 1: // The experiment is engaged
    183     sHalfLifeHours = 6;
    184     break;
    185   case 2:
    186     sHalfLifeHours = 24;
    187     break;
    188   case 3:
    189     sHalfLifeHours = 7 * 24;
    190     break;
    191   case 4:
    192     sHalfLifeHours = 50 * 24;
    193     break;
    195   case -1:
    196   default: // The experiment is off or broken
    197     sHalfLifeExperiment = -1;
    198     sHalfLifeHours = std::max(1U, std::min(1440U, mozilla::Preferences::GetUint(
    199       "browser.cache.frecency_half_life_hours", kDefaultHalfLifeHours)));
    200     break;
    201   }

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

15. TheWindBringeth

Poor comment placement I think. You'd also want to scroll up to line 157 and begin there.

I believe if you see browser.cache.frecency_experiment set to 1, 2, 3, or 4, the experiment (random choice from four possible fixed values for sHalfLifeHours) is enabled and initialized. The default for browser.cache.frecency_experiment appears to be 0, which reflects experiment enabled but not yet initialized. A value of -1 would reflect experiment disabled. Some other unexpected value would be treated the same as -1.

If the experiment is disabled, sHalfLifeHours will be set to the bounded value of browser.cache.frecency_half_life_hours. If that pref isn't available, 6 will be used.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Besides what has been posted, I saw this: Download files more safely with Firefox 31.

For those who have turned off the Safe Browsing features (Attack Sites & Web Forgeries), review:

How do I use the Phishing and Malware Protection features?

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    did you notice sometime there is a lag searching with google without wot or other similar components?

thanks

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, if you are asking me, I performed a Google search for "forum security" and it took 0.27 seconds (302,000 results) to display their first page.

While at that page, I perform a second Google search for "security topics" and it took 0.19 seconds (478,000,000 results) to render that first page. I use NoScript & AdBlock Plus and don't see any searching lag from my end. Win7, Firefox 31.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi @JRViejo , sometime my firefox starts to lag when i perform a search ,i use only google
    i have only adblock plus ,secure login, download helper and yet another smooth scrolling

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, perhaps some of the steps outlined in Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix could help you find the problem at your end.

Note: If any other Wilders member is having the same issue, please post what you have done to fix it. I'm sure mantra will appreciate it.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Any time I have had such problems I had to create a new profile. You lose your addons and have to reinstall them but worth it if it fixes it.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@JRViejo
    thanks
    i will try
    firt i will backup my profiles, after i will reset firefox
    but it happens sometime and seldome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.