Firefox 3.5 out

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stefan_waelti, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hello Dark_Hanzo,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The Norton Toolbar function of both Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 version 3 is currently incompatible with Firefox 3.5. However, Symantec is currently working on a hotfix to resolve this issue and it will be released on July 15th. Please visit the links below for further information.

Compatability of Norton 360 with Firefox 3.5

Compatability of Norton Internet Security 2009 with Firefox 3.5

Thank you,
    Mike

2. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Guys, I don't get it. Why would any site ask a browser for the computer location? Knowing where you're surfing from is simply communicated by your ip address, right?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

This is Mozilla's definition of their Location-Aware Browsing:
    But what concerns me the most, and why I want Firefox to let me know when I have reached a site that asks for this type of info, is Mozilla's accuracy statement:
    A few meters? Yes, it's bad enough that my IP address can reveal either the closest server or in some cases, the town where I live, but now is a few meters? No way!

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Location-aware browsing just provides an API for websites to determine your location using several data sources, your IP being one of them. That's it.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Has anyone had problems with auto log ons to password saved sites.

3.0.11 logged on automatically if I saved the password. 3.5 does not for me.

Any suggestions?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

silver0066, perhaps this Mozilla article: Cannot log in to websites might shed some light on your problem. Sounds like a corrupted cookies file but read the whole article.

7. silver0066

JRViejo,

That website does not refer to Firefox 3.5. The Exceptions list is under the Security tab. All of my passwords show up in the password list and I have Firefox set to keep cookies, although none show up in the cookie list.

The problem is not remembering the passwords, but have Firefox AUTO log in instead of having to check the Login Box.

Thanks for your help,

Silver

8. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Hey,after I upgraded firefox 3.0.11 to 3.5,WOT button disappeared. I tried to disable some addons which might cause the problem. I tried reinstall WOT. But none could succeed.

Could anyone help on this before I reinstall firefox 3.5 and the so many addons? :doubt:

9. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi JRViejo :)

That's why I've completely - Disabled .. Location Aware - Browsing ( geolocation )
    So that Firefox simply doesn't use its Location Aware - Technology .. In the first place! :D

If I visit a website that uses - Location Aware Technology ...
    Firefox won't ask me if I want to Share my Location or Not - Coz.. Firefox now knows that my answer is - Never! :cautious:

10. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi silver006 :)

The Only Thing I Can Think Of...

You wouldn't by any chance have Firefox set up to.. Clear History When Firefox Closes .. Have You?

I've been playing around with my igoogle page quite a lot in the last few days.
    And although through a problem with the way igoogle works .. Rather Than Firefox!
    I Have However Discovered...
    That the way Firefox 3.5 handles Clearing Recent History and in particular Cookies ... Is very different to the old Firefox 3 o_O

Quite a bit more complicated than it used to be o_O

Have You Seen These...
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Clear Recent History
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cookies
    Might Help! ;)

PS.
    Another One For You!
    Scroll to the bottom of the page - Here : http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Remembering passwords
    And also take a look at those extra links ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zeena, I believe we have differences of opinions. I want to know if a Web site uses this feature and you don't want to ever know. There is no right or wrong decision here since Firefox lets their users choose, so you choose one way, I choose another.

Firefox is not using its own technology, instead, they are using Google Location Services. Because Google wants to be the end all these days (browser, OS, email, etc.), it behooves me to know what Google is up to. This statement in Google Location Service in Mozilla Firefox Privacy Policy bothers me quite a bit and it's the main reason why I want this feature on:

12. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi bonedriven
    :)

Please have a read of my last post to - Silver0066

As I'm Not Sure!
    But I think there is a slight possibility that your WOT problem is also Cookie related :doubt:

13. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi JRViejo :)

I don't think we have a difference in opinion on what we think of this Location Aware Technology stuff.

I Think We Both Agree It's... :p

I think our only ( Tiny! ) difference in opinion..
    Is about how Firefox 3.5 actually plays its - part / works - In dealing with this new Technology.

Location Aware Browsing

Reminds me a bit of - Cookies :doubt:
    Some people... Don't Mind Them :cool:
    Some People... Constantly Cookie Killing :argh:

Well! ... You Know What I Mean! :D

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zeena, yes, I know what you mean. BTW, I'm in the Cookie Killer camp. ;)

15. silver0066

I have it set to always remember history. I am using Ccleaner, latest verstion, and it may have a bug that clears history when using FF 3.5. I have asked on their forum, but have received no reply.

16. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi silver006 :)

Another Thing You Might Want To Check...

You know that you said.. " I have it set to always remember history."

Well I've Noticed...
    If You - Clear Recent History - Yourself!
    From.. Menu - Tools - Clear Recent History
    Depending on what options you last picked.. e.g.. Last Hour - Today - Everything etc.
    It can change your settings from... Always Remember History - To - Use Custom Settings For History

So just check that your settings haven't changed all by themselves ;)

I'm Presuming this must be a Bug in Firefox 3.5 .. Don't Know! :doubt:

17. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi JRViejo
    :)

LOL :D .. Me Too! ;)

Well! .. Apart from the two flamin Cookies that seem to go AWOL every time I log in and out of iGoogle :mad:

How Stupid Is This...
    Google Says - " Sign in to save your iGoogle Page "
    But what Google doesn't say - " Then sign out to lose your iGoogle Page " :argh:
    A few years ago.. I'm sure I managed to find a way around the silly problem of the vanishing iGoogle :cautious:
    So that I could have an.. iGoogle Page - Signed In .. & .. iGoogle Page - Signed Out!
    Just wish I could remember what it was :rolleyes:
    That was using IE though .. Not .. Firefox :doubt:

18. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Thank you Mike :)

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

20. tlu

tlu Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.