Firefox 22 and Flash Player 11.8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

FF is browser of choice..
    Have updated to latest flash player ...
    Pffft: no flash sites working "Flash Plugin has crashed"

Scouted the web lots of irritations with flash but cant see my problem specifically.
    Lots of generic solutions...
    ( Cant redo HW acceleration settings as cant launch player :cautious: )

Rejigged refiddled
    Uninstalled FF and Flash, reinstalled, disabled all usual extensions and tested all.
    Other plugins all good.
    Safe mode no change.

IE and flash all good !! LOL

(Obviously?) some snafu with FF.
    Bah.
    PITA

Anyone have any ideas please ?

Go back to version 11.7 ??
    Regards

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I've seen the recommendations to disable hardware acceleration, but for me the problem was resolved by disabling the crash reporter in Firefox. It has this nasty habit of stopping the plugin on sites like YouTube. After that, I could watch videos with hardware acceleration enabled. Seeing as we are likely running different configurations its hard to say whether this will work for you. I generally don't run any of the data choice options. The crash reporter was the only one that crashed when turned on.

3. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Interesting you mention this because I had issues with FF 22, 23 beta 4 and the flash beta. I couldn't get youtube to complete any video I watched. I also had premature shutdown like you mentioned.

I tried uninstalling some programs that I thought might be interfering, but I decided to go with a fresh install of Windows 8 (not 8.1) instead of Windows 7. So far things are working fine with FF beta and Flash beta.

I can live with Win 8 customized to look and act like Windows 7 (Aero, Start Button/Start Menu).

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Longboard, you can also try to fix the problem between Firefox and Flash by disabling protected mode. Last resort, disable plugin container.

Bo

5. Longboard

Interesting isn't it.
    I have had no issues with crash reporter disabled here too.

With crash reporter enabled, I was testing some of the configs and security apps: Turning off Webroot WSA allowed the flash files to play !?
    Turning WSA back on and restart FF: flash blocked. !

Crash reporter disabled... no issues so far.
    W&W..

Too deep for me. :D
    Just another little quirk... only took abt 3 hrs stuffing around :cautious:

One of those things.
    have to wait and see what the next update brings..

I have also noticed really high mem use with the latest FF: 6 tabs open, no media sites = 270mb !! :eek: ... the infamous memory leak again.
    Regards

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. Longboard

Ya, thx.
    That was one of the first things I did: didn't fix it.
    when this stuff happens its a pita doing some "debugging" trying to figure out wth is happening, what with all the apps and background stuff running.

As ever, it will probably just be an isolated speed bump, some setting I changed somewhere ... :blink:

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You're welcome - since I'm still a relative Mozilla n00b, I can't really offer more other than a possible add-ons issue.

You might uninstall Flash player so as to eliminate that as a possible culprit.

Keep us posted and good luck. It is a PITA when your primary Browser isn't working the way you want it to.

9. Longboard

Siljaline, thx.
    I did all that good stuff :)
    All mostly good here now.
    As noted, it may have been a conflict somewhere..

FWIW, uninstalling FF and Flash and doing new installs as part of problem solving...all seems a bit sharper now.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Longboard,
    I just had a similar experience. I installed Win 8.1 64 bit last night, just to fiddle with it again. I installed Firefox 22, Flash Player 11.8.800.94, EMET 4.0 final, and Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus, and, like you, every site that I visited that required flash player would cause Firefox to become unresponsive. I would have to force close Firefox to shut it down. It became very frustrating. Sometimes simply opening Firefox would bring up the crash reporter. Disabling crash reporter had no effect on flash sites opening. Firefox would still become unresponsive.
    Shutting down WSA seemed to allow everything to function fine.

I've since uninstalled WSA and so far no problems.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.