Firefox 21.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2013/05/14/firefox-21-improves-performance-and-privacy/

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks. It's already coming through the updater so we can't have the usual speculation about whether or not it's final, etc :)

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The releasenotes page is still not working, even though there is a link to it in Firefox itself:
    https://www.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/21.0/releasenotes/

See about:healthreport to check your browsers statistics:

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

FYI, in my case updating via the internal updater failed. I had to download the full installer and it required a reboot to complete. Other than that v21 is running fine so far - none of my extensions are incompatible.

6. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

In case if any one needs to access Firefox Health Report (FHR), type about:healthreport in the url or select "FHR" from Firefox -- Help menu.

More info on FHR

Also, to view the exact data being sent to Mozilla if sharing is ON by clicking on the Raw Data tab.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I miss the old Firefox....where it went from version 1 to version 3 over a half a dozen years or so.

If Firefox keeps releasing "new releases" at the rate that they are (every few weeks), they're going to lose me. Period. And probably a lot of others as well.

Personally, I'm tired of constantly seeing a new version and knowing that I'm going to lose extensions and add-ons while being nagged about "upgrading" if I don't.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

well, i miss the Beatles but George and John are dead, so that's not happening anytime soon! ;)

anyway, i need my NoScript some i'm not moving away from Firefox anytime soon!

and it's not like we have too many choices when it comes to browsers anyway.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You're remembering a simpler time when there were fewer browser exploits among other things. Many of the major browsers are on accelerated release schedules to harden them and improve performance. Even sleepy Microsoft is updating Internet Explorer more often. It's a drag when extensions are broken, but the major ones at least are quickly updated. It seems like a necessary trade-off, but I believe you can still use 3.6X if you want to wax nostalgic.

11. JRCATES

Wow, you're stuck in the way back! (LOL) I liked them a lot a few decades ago, still like 'em, but don't miss 'em all that much. ;)

I've used Firefox almost exclusively for about half a dozen years or longer. I've used it so much so, that I haven't really been up on how much IE and Chrome, etc. were improving.

Like I said, I like Firefox, I just wish that they would stop with the silly "update of the month" crap now.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

So special they were :thumb: and there have yet to be any worthy "upgrades"...

13. harsha_mic

Another option is to use ESR, which will be not as fast as regular firefox in adding the new features with monthly updates. It is currents on v17. Can be downloaded at "http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html"

So, You do not need to worry about addons being compatible.

If you do not mind, could let us know what the addons are being broken with today's release. Perhaps let concerned devlopers be notified.

14. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Well I have gave up on firefox, because of this. The new firefoxes are not as smooth as the old versions. Slowness and freezing and some av protection issues, has firefox gone crappy.

I now use palemoon 64bit and have all the firefox extensions and is smooth and problem free, just like the old firefoxes.

For anyone sick of all these updates on firefox, I suggest you use palemoon and you will love it.

15. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

If you want a Firefox that only gets a major yearly upgrade and security updates through the year, use Firefox Extended Support Release:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Stay with that and let others enjoy the faster development. "Lots" would abandon Firefox if Mozilla completely returned to the old slow model of delivering improvements as well.

16. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

You must be spending lots of time looking at the release numbers instead of navigating on the internet. What's the difference if you have 4.5 or 456? In the past you had 2.0.0.1-10 now you have 10, 11, 12 etc.

17. JRCATES

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe tech geeks, but not the mainstream.

As far as "upgrades", I'm not so sure that I'd qualify a slower, more bloated browser that breaks things (like extensions) as an "upgrade". Like taleblou said above, I haven't noticed any "increased performance", and I've never really considered Firefox to be vulnerable when it comes to security issues.....

Thanks for this bit of info....I may have to check into this. :thumb:

18. JRCATES

You must spend lots of time working on your sarcasm and trying your hand at comedy. Word of advice: give it up. It ain't working ;)

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

20. Wild Hunter

Such a return would infuriate their own developers, risking abandonment of several ones and a major failure of the whole project which now seems to have very clear strategies and plans.

The fact that you don't notice something doesn't prove that it doesn't exist - as several benchmarks show (search for Tom's Hardware Web Browser Grand Prix).

As for some extensions, if they break after some browser upgrades, it's usually because they need maintenance.

I don't think browser development should be hostage of slow or lazy extension devs.

21. harsha_mic

I believe this comes to type of Hardware/addons being used along with other software being installed.

To me, when i shifted to Windows 8, Firefox 17 was hardly usable, but with Firefox 18 it was tolerable to use and then with later versions, i had no issues with performance at all. Am able to use keep firefox running longer times with multiple tabs (more than one audio/video site opened)...

Perhaps you could try one last time with latest version with new profile and see how that works.

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by lose all your extensions etc.

I have just upgraded my firefox and i did not lose any extensions at all.

23. JRCATES

That was meant metaphorically, not literally.

I have lost a half a dozen or so extensions over the past 3 to 4 years (which constitutes about 17 "new versions" of Firefox, so to speak) at times when Firefox has "upgraded".

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Sorry my friend,i didnt notice the metaphor.

Its nice to see firefox updates quite smoothly now and with no need to uninstall the previous version.

25. Wild Hunter

What you must keep in mind is that extensions require regular maintenance and that browser development shouldn't be hostage of slow or lazy extension devs.

And, if you want to ensure compatibility for longer periods of times, use Firefox ESR as already suggested: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.