Firefox 2007 - Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When I open Firefox and click on Tools / Option / Advanced / Update, I can change the options for Update, but Firefox doesn't keep these settings after closing. Each time I re-open Firefox, the update options are back with their default settings.

I need the possibility to disable automatic updates, not only for Firefox, but also any other software, because Anti-Executable doesn't like changes in executable files and this can corrupt the update and cause a malfunction in the software, in this case Firefox. That is my experience in practice and these automatic updates can occur at any moment of the day.

That's why I disabled all automatic updates and execute them manually AFTER Anti-Executable is turned OFF. After turning AE back ON, AE updates its whitelist with the new executables.

I checked updates of Firefox 2007 and there are no updates to fix this.
    Keep in mind that this is a problem for all AE-users, certainly when AE's security level is set to HIGH.
    I wonder why Firefox changed this and forces users to update Firefox. o_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The option stays for me. Did you try changing the option with AE off?

Also another way to turn off Firefox updates is to type about:config in the address bar and change "app.update.enabled" to false.

3. ErikAlbert

Thanks, but it didn't help. Meanwhile, I found out that Firefox doesn't remember any of my settings. Maybe the installation wasn't successful and that means back to the drawing board for my on-line snapshot.
    In this case ErikAlbert seems to be the major problem, not Firefox.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Corrupted Firefox profile, maybe? I don't know if it's still a problem, but at one time there were frequent recommendations to backup the profile folders every so often because they did sometimes get corrupted.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be because FF is running is DW. Disable DW. Run FF, change update settings. Close and rerun it to confirm. Enable DW.
    Let us know, how it goes.

6. ErikAlbert

I had DW disabled already, didn't help either. The reason might be that I switched from Firefox in 1 partition to 2 partitions and vice versa, while DW and AE was ON or OFF, I don't remember. :)

7. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    I suggest reinstalling the program since it is easier to reconfigure. Use FEBE to put your settings back to the way you had them.

8. ErikAlbert

The problem is fixed and my sincere apologizes to Wilders, Mozilla Foundation and the members, who showed me the arrow to smart thinking again. :)
    After a partial re-install of my on-line snapshot, Firefox was back to normal and remembers all its settings, including the Update settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.