Firefox 2 overrated? Going downhill?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kdm31091, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi 7 seconds is too much. U need to cut down ur extensions at least by half.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've been running Firefox 2. It loads a LOT faster and does'nt bog down with lots of tabs open (eg more than 10).
    That alone makes it a worthy upgrade.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Because IE is embeded in windows it starts faster. FF being a stand alone takes 2 seconds longer. Now that we have IE7, we can look at the same skin for another 6 years. What were we saying about FF? I love it.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i hate firefox 2. it's the only program i have which crashes. and how could anyone think tabs which disappear is a good idea o_O is that the default behaviour, or is that something to do with my setup?

i just hate it, mine also sends encrypted stuff to google and i also read how it sends other stuff to google too (spyware), but that might have been fixed during beta testing after someone asked what was going on :rolleyes:

JUNK :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/80310/
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152484

5. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It was actually 5, not 6, years between IE6 and IE7. You may hate Microsoft but don't exagerrate. It was 5, period.

I hate the "IE is embedded, and Firefox is not, so Fox starts slow" argument. How come Opera launches much faster then? After all it's standalone.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t like the Google relation with FF.
    May be it is due to the fact that they need money.
    BTW u can never know what ur browsers are sending and where they are sending, in my opinion.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

For some strange reason FF 2.0 worked slower on my computer than 1.5 :(

But the problem probably isn't with the rendering engine, because the other browsers with FF's rendering engine are just as fast as FF 1.5 was on my computer. I feel something in FF 2.0 is bogging the render engine down. If this is the case, they can fix it pretty good with version 2.5 or 3.0 :)

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Firecat- It must be a local problem for you. FF2 is at least as fast as 1.5 for me if not faster.

9. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

FireFox2 opens as fast as I can click onto the icon, thats really fast ! However I dont like the memory leaks and yes it depends on what extensions you currently got installed with it. My memory usage can start from 22,000k and by the time I'm done browsing usually about an hour or so it goes up to 38,000k. They really need to fix that but I'm pretty sure the security of this browser is a bit more secure than the previous as it should be. :thumb:

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

You are a lucky guy yankingNcranking :) Not that I care about memory usage anymore but my Firefox 2 is up to 80Mb after I am done with it, but I have never seen over 100Mb of memory usage, well maybe I have but that was many, many version/builds ago.
    Do you have some sort of preload? Firefox 2 is the fastest version when talking about load times. But it takes still about 7-8 seconds to load even though I have reduced my extensions from 40 to 13 must haves. 8 seconds is not a big deal really, but if it could get faster would be a bonus :)

11. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Wow 13 must haves hehehe sorry man that maybe the problem there as I dont have any installed at all. I personally dont have the need for those extension as I use my own tools yes I got the landscape for it dual monitor set up ! :D
    As for the preload I dont have a preload but I did use Ultimate Defrag and set the firefox.exe and its related files placed to the outer areas of my HD which I have to say speeded up my launch, I also play aalot of Online games and my Warcraft, WOW, SplinterCell, FEAR, etc etc etc all load 3-7 sec faster sorry for going away from the topic a bit.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Oh yeah, extensions "is the ****" for me :D
    If speed and security was the only issues I would go for K-meleon or Opera, those are the fastest imo (besides IE of course)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will suggest u to decrease extension to about 5 or 6 and it will load faster.

14. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I posted the following problem elsewhere, but never got an answer...

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I use default settings here. So can,t help anymore.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can try a CSS stored on your HDD, or changing the value for the fonts on your home page so the font isn't a fixed size. i'm not a web developer, but someone who knows that stuff should know what to do. try a web developer forum :)

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I want to ask one Q as well. I want to add a dictionay search engine in Opera Firefox. Have no idea which one I should use. Any recommendations?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This thread is about Firefox. Feel free to start a thread concerning your question. :)

19. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I don't know about spying or info leaks, but I really like the built in spell checker and the ability to resume the previous session with all the tabs when it crashes.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, I wanted to say Firefox.
    corrected it now!

21. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My choice was Dictionary.com. I tried the Merriam-Webster one but found out very quickly it wasn't right for me. If I mis-spelled the word some, M-W would come back with no suggestions. Dictionary.com always gives me choices... ;)

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mine as well. They have improved their site tremendously.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Make sure you've allowed mozdev.org if your running NoScript

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.