Firefox 2 Issues

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dw426, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there everybody, I need some feedback if you don't mind. Is anyone having trouble with lots of steady crashes? I swear, I hardly open 3 tabs and the thing just dies. I have to force the process to close in Task manager every time. Now I first checked out my system (other browser and such), and didn't see/have any problems, just Firefox 2. I checked my extensions too, I only have AdBlockPlus and NoScripts.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun too soon, but it just seems IMHO that Firefox just is not what it once was. Heck, I preferred Firebird and Phoenix. At least they were always stable (for me at least). I know Firefox is beloved for the extensions and the security, but crap, I wouldn't mind some functionality every now and again, lol. I've spoken about these very same issues to people I know, and, all I ever got was "Man, it's just your system, Firefox rules!....Serves me right for asking fanboys, haha!

Anyway, seriously, has Firefox started going down the tubes or am I just missing something? I have another rant about the Mozilla teams letting everyone and their brother create extensions, and just any extension too. I understand entertainment, but when I see extensions that count down until President Bush leaves office, and and TONS of toolbars that have god awful privacy policies (if they aren't outright spyware and worse), I start wondering where Mozillas' interests really are...if they even have them now. But that's another rant for rainy day entertainment :)

Maybe I'm an uninformed ranter, but something just seems fishy (and not that privacy destroying Phishing tool with it either :), even though in all fairness you can opt out). My brain is hatching a plan to give Opera another go, lol.

EDIT: Figured I better let everyone know I've done the whole uninstall/reinstall jazz and no change, extensions included.

2. vhick

vhick Registered Member

im a former firefox user to and i convert to opera because of some issue. i know its hard to find some extension that i wlaways use in firefox but luckly i find extension in opera that i always use.

and i amazed with the speed and secure browsing when i use opera.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Which extension were you able to replace in Opera? Opera may not have extensions, but dang, there are so many configuration options you're bound to be able to do most of what you could with FF, especially if you use Widgets (I do think I would approach widgets with caution though). I'm not really TRYING to bash Firefox, I've used it for a LONG time, but it just seems like there isn't as much control over it now. I don't know, again, maybe I'm just uninformed.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Since using Firefox 0.1, I've had so few crashes you can count them on your both hands - assuming you have about 10 fingers or so.

Maybe you have some software issues - beside Firefox.

Mrk

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@dw426
    What other apps running coincident?

(heh Spysweeper for one will screw with almost everything)

6. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

I'm not experiencing any similar problems with 2.0.0.1.

I get that you've done 'the whole re-install thing'. Did you transfer your existing profile or build a fresh profile ? As you don't seem to use a whole lot of extensions/add-ons, re-building your profile in order of priority - until you're satisfied any conflicts are identified & resolved probably isn't going to take long at all.

You may have seen it around, on the offchance you haven't, the freeware utility below, automates the process of backing up your existing profile and retrieving it again later if you want.

mozbackup

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey guys, well, the thing is, this OS (XP Home), is brand spanking new. It was reinstalled a day or so ago. The only things I currently have are the following:

MVPs Host (Not screwing with IE so I don't see that it should be causing the Firefox issue). Side note: I'm aware of the problems that can occur with Host files and that the lock function can be bypassed. But, hey, it works for me, I get blocked from bad websites and it's a killer ad-blocking tool. I use Homer for the server tool that allows me to access Windows updates.

AntiVir antivirus

Comodo Firewall

SpywareTerminator with the real-time functions enabled.

SuperAntiSpyware which I only use for scanning.

SpywareBlaster because I do have to use IE for some websites.

SpyBot and A2 Squared for only double-checking scans. Note: I don't use the Tea-Timer.

CCleaner and RegSeeker for cleaning purposes.

That's all I've got on this system. I know I have a lot of anti-spyware, but I'm pretty sure if they aren't all real-time apps they most likely won't conflict. Now I'm only pretty sure, lol, I'm not 110% certain :) Oh, Eyes-Open, I remove all the profiles and such when I uninstall Firefox because I've had issues pop up before when I left them there and tried to reinstall Firefox.

Mrkvonic, I do indeed have 10 fingers, lol, but I've had about 3 sets of hands worth of crashes since I upgraded to Firefox 2, especially after it hit, what is it, 2.0.0.1 or something to that affect? That little sucker gave me more problems than I had with the original version 2. (Hmm, there's a thought that I hadn't quite gave much attention to).

This sucks really, I'm a big supporter of Firefox, I've been friends with him since he was just a wee little Firebird :'( I have no idea what the problem could be. Again with the Host file issue, it just seems to me that since it evidently isn't browser-specific (like IE-SpyAd), if one browser has no issues, neither would the other. Ugh, my favorite browser doesn't seem to like me anymore and Mozilla has let the extension people run wild, depresses the crap out of me, lol.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey guys, I may or may not have found something. I again crashed, but I was paying attention to what I was doing while seeing if it would crash again. When NoScript starts going into action when I first load a page that has a lot of scripting on it, I initially temp allow the actual website but keep blocking the other scripts that try to run. If the page still has trouble loading, I'll allow the next one down the list until the page properly loads (I'm talking sites that use scripts for logins and such, not any other types).

Now, to get to my point, if I allow a script, and the page is slow to reload, the browser will sometimes freeze on me. Now as I said in my earlier post, it will DEFINATELY crash hard if I have more than 2 windows open. I'm not too in-the know regarding the extension, but could it be having a hard time "keeping up" so to speak when it's trying to check/block the scripts on multiple websites at once? If I think about it, it sounds kind of dumb because obviously/hopefully the extension creator would know people can get tab crazy.

I don't know guys, it's just a thought, the first thought that seems like its plausible after checking everything I know to check. I've also tried deleting cookies/history/ applets just in case it was trying to load a bad/corrupted cookie or applet, but still having the same issue.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Try this:

Load the Firefox in safe mode. See how it behaves WITHOUT extensions. If it still crashes, uninstall, DELETE the profile (under Documents and Settings\Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox). Reinstall. Try again.

If it works, try disabling extensions one by one, see how it works. If you solve the problem, maybe you're using a corrupted extension - try uninstalling and then reinstalling.

Mrk

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Mrkvonic, I went step by step through your suggestion, here's how things went. I loaded up Firefox after cleaning the history and such, and it went a bit longer without crashing, it still did, but I was able to get a couple of extra tabs open before it did. I uninstalled Firefox at that point and removed the profiles folder, I then went ahead and cleaned out any leftover Firefox entries out of the registry.

I reinstalled it and just installed AdBlock Plus without NoScript. It crashed twice, however, when it was loading the pages, it went much more smoothly and didn't stall while loading them. So those two crashes I don't know what could have caused it. I did decide to reinstall NoScript again and it's back to the same old 3 tab or more crashing situation. This really kind of bugs me, there should be no reason it would crash like this on a pretty much clean system. I know sometimes software just won't run right on one system but not on another, I've seen it happen, but a browser, and a slim browser at that?

I have no idea what to look for next, but it's getting pretty frustrating, especially when I'm trying to get some actual work done. Firefox has been pretty darn good to me in the past, but something is going wrong here and if I can't do what I need to do without constantly terminating it out of task manager and restarting it, I'm gonna have to look elsewhere. Let me know if any of you have something else for me to try, I'll follow as much advice as I can.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i sometimes have random crashes with firefox but not as bad as you are having.
    have you posted on the mozillaline forums?
    they helped me when i had a problem.
    lodore

12. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

the only issue Ive had w\ FF2.0.0.1
    is occasionally when I have alot of windows open (both www & local) it can fail to load the url window with an address sometimes and I have issues Rclick>copying the addresses. This is typically after the large number of windows are open for 10>12hrs?

closing Firefox and reopening it solves that

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Did you load FF in its safe mode?
    Did you try reinstalling completely and DELETING profile?
    Did you try enabling / disabling extensions ONE by ONE?

I did not say to delete history. Follow me on this, carefully!

Mrk

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic, yes, I did do everything step by step as I said in my last post. I delete history and cookies out of habit when I'm done, I do that with all browsers @Iodore: I hadn't posted at Mozillas' forums as of yet, I had been looking through there though for cases of others having issues, and I'm not the only one who has this happening. I may have it worse, but I'm not alone.

@Ice-Czar: I hardly ever have more than 4-5 windows open at a time, mostly because I just typically don't do a great deal of things at once. And when I do have them open, about the only time I would leave them open for long periods of time is when I'm refreshing post responses on a forum or doing any Bittorrent from one of the public trackers. Other than that I usually don't leave windows in any browser open for such long periods.

I had to go ahead and download Opera since I had some important work I needed to do, but I'm leaving Firefox on here until I've ran out of ideas and suggestions. I sure do appreciate you guys trying to help me out, maybe it will fix itself at some point, when dealing with computers you can expect a lot of strange things happening, lol.

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK, here's a blind man trying to help you: disable Spyware Terminator, and run FF plain and simple, no extensions (after reinstall, i guess).
    Does it crash?

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Guys, I THINK I found the source of my woes. I feel like a complete buffoon for not checking this, but in the options of NoScript, I had "Forbid other plugins" check marked. I unchecked it and now have 7 windows open with no problems in sight. That kind of worries me though as I would think that option allows for even more security when used, but it does indeed seem to be the culprit.

@ Someone: If my newfound functionality is a fluke and the crashing comes back, I'll certainly try disabling SpywareTerminator and the extensions and see what happens.

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

18. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

Glad you figured that out. I only use FF 2.0.0.1 barebones at work, and it seems stable enough for the 10 minutes a day I use it for (use Opera 9.10 for everything by Replicon that only seems to work in the newest firefox). I would notify the NoScript devs of the issue, maybe they can fix it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.