firefox 2 and ram,200mb is normal??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have the last version of firefox , and run in under xp pro with the last patches
    and with 6 or 7 windows of firefox i noticed a consume of ram about 200mb

is normal?

i tried to disable every compontents , or skin but the consume is about 160-200 mb of ram

is there some components to optimaze firefox , i know only fasterfox

thanks
    have a nice day

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Fasterfox *might* make browsing faster but it wont lower memory usage.

Also it depend what kind of sites you load. Flash, videos, or huge thumbnail galleries can cause high memory usage.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

This is pretty much normal with FF, at least it was when I last used it, several months ago. You should not be worrying about it if you have 1GB or more RAM, but it is just awful for a simple browser, isn't it?

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what do you use to browse?
    is there a good program light?

5. WSFuser

Theres some lighter browsers:

Opera
    K-Meleon
    Seamonkey

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes but no matter how much RAM I have , I would never give any browser so much , sorry . A single application consuming so much is awful.

Firefox is secure and easy to use but heavy (heavier than other browsers) . V3 (beta4+) is supposed to be lighter and faster but I don't see such thing even with the latest beta versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I have used Opera for a long time (years). I use IE7 now.

Exactly my point :)

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well the alternative is opera

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

firefox 3 will be out soon and uses alot less ram usage.
    not sure thou since i dumped firefox at early version 2 moved to opera and never looked back.

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i tried the 3 version
    and uses only 60 mb
    but the compontens are not compatible

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

firefox 3 uses way less ram than firefox 2 does... for that many pages open that def could be normal for firefox 2.. lol ie is usually even worse from my experience.. ff3 will be very soon.. and imo it rocks...

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Yes both Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 rock and are lightning fast. The latest Firefox 3 Beta starts much faster than v2 :thumb:. Its a pitty that you need so much addons to make Firefox enjoyable. With every addon Firefox gets slower. Other browsers like Maxthon or Opera have many of them already built in so that their speed stays the same as in the first day.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

opera 9.5 is still beta o_O

how much ram do opera & maxthon need ?
    how much at max do they consume about ram?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

It depends how many tabs are open. Many Tabs - high RAM. How else can I answer that?

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

As I rarely have more than 3-4 tabs opened, most of the time 1-2 and 7-8 max, I can only state my experience witn Opera. 9.26 was the last one I used (I recently switched to IE7) and iirc it never exceeded 40 megs or so. I have not used skins, plugins, gadgets/widgets and such, just the plain Opera.
    FWIW IE7 uses 37 now (2 tabs), on Vista though.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Ok just for fun i opened 72 Tabs (with different Webpages each) in Opera 9.5 and it consumes 186mb RAM. Opera is still fully functional and has not slowed down a bit although 72 Tabs are open. (javascript disabled)

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i have to drop down firefox :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    right now --> 380 mb:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

18. WSFuser

19. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

FF2 has known memory leaks. After a few hours, irregardless of pages viewed (unless extremely high) I'll have over 150MB Ram in use.

The longer you go, say days, it can climb to 500mb. I've found that if you are light in the RAM department, restart Firefox at least once every four hours.

FF3 beta 4 I think is currently out, and I believe most of the memory leaks are finally plugged so try it out.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

to me firefox in the setting under cache there is only 50mb

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but i did notice that with nod32 if i open the download window , firefox freezes for some seconds

is normal?

22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Wonder why it's so much less in Linux :) This is version 2.0.0.14 while running a Youtube video! Normally I see 30-40 MB. I don't know why it shows Status "Sleeping" when it is clearly running??

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008
  23. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

I was using Firefox 2 with 12 tabs active all the time. The memory would creep up to 200mb if I didn't restart the browser once a day. I just changed to FF3beta 4 days ago and, using the same tabs and add-ons, the memory hasn't gone above 85mb.

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but it's just fast like before?

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Currently running with no other tabs open and at 136Mb usage. It will usually hop up to around 160 or so with no other tabs open once left open for awhile. My main problem is for the last few patches this browser has begun constantly stalling for seconds at a time, no matter how many tabs you have open. I've reset the profiles, I've even uninstalled, cleared out every leftover and started with a fresh copy, and it still does it.

The only addons I use are Noscript, AdBlock Plus, CustomizeGoogle and WOT, and even without them this browser does that crap. If I could have anything SIMILAR even to Adblock and Noscript (without having to totally disable JS, which sometimes you want one script to run but not all of them, Noscript lets me pick and choose), I would run to Opera so fast there'd be flames coming out of me. I always did like Opera when I last tried it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.