Firefox 13- plugincontainer change?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've always (and still do) blocked plugincontainer.exe from internet access in both my firewall & Sandboxie settings. I do allow it to start/run though. I've never noticed it need internet access for anything to function properly, and my rule of thumb is always to block in that case.

Since the update to 13 I notice I get a Sandboxie pop-up about it's internet access being restricted whenever I try to watch a Youtube video... perhaps every flash video now (haven't tested it that thoroughly). The video still runs just fine regardless though.

Also when I close Firefox I get the same pop-up. Don't ask me why plugincontainer would have to access the internet for Firefox to close?...

Everything still works just fine without granting it access. It's just a nuisance. Is their plan to try to irritate people into granting it access?

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

A new version of Adobe Flash Player was released. Try it.

3. luciddream

That update does nothing to remedy the problem, but thanks anyway. I'm under the impression that this isn't a Flash problem, it has to do with the Firefox update to v.13. They've modified plugincontainer somehow. It tries to connect out every time I watch a flash video now. And it also tries to every time I close Firefox. It never did before.

The videos work just fine without it. I'll just put up with it. It is annoying to have to click that box every time I watch one, and every time I close Firefox, but I won't let them nag me into allowing it access that it doesn't need. I don't particularly distrust it, but I don't allow anything any access that isn't necessary. It's how I run my ship, and it's the main reason why I can run without a real-time AV and maintain a clean box. Another big reason... Sandboxie, which is giving me these warnings.

So nobody else running Firefox 13 & Sandboxie has plugincontainer blocked from internet access? Kinda hard to believe in a place like this... that so many would blindly grant a process that generally very little is known about unneeded access.

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I have it blocked from internet access in the setup I use for banking/financial transactions.

I'll go block it in my default sandbox and report back to you on what happens when I open a youtube video.

5. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Okay, just tested...

...I get the Sandboxie pop-up that Plug-In Container is unable to connect to the internet due to restrictions upon starting the video (which runs fine)...

...but I didn't get any message upon closing the browser/Sandboxie and auto-deleting.

6. luciddream

Thanks Blues. I figured out what causes the popup when closing Firefox (but not WHY it causes it)... It's checking the options (in Tools > Options > Privacy)... "clear history when Firefox closes", and checking the options under "Data".

I remembered that this was something (the only thing) I'd changed lately in Firefox. Sure enough, that was it. No idea why plugincontainer needs internet access to do that though?... in fact, that looks kinda shady. Makes it appear as if that "Data" may be being shipped somewhere before it's destroyed?...

I don't want to be accused of creating a panic again here, just once again, putting it out there to make others aware of what's going on. And advising you to at least open your eyes to it, and draw your own conclusions...

7. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

It's always disturbed me as well though I'm not at all certain that I understand everything about plug-in container.

My initial understanding is that it was a way of having Firefox and Flash Player (for instance) separate so that a crash of the plug-in didn't crash Firefox.

It was also (perhaps incorrect) understanding that if you didn't allow plug-in container to run, that flash would be run directly via Firefox.

So I often wondered if it mattered at all since it might just use Firefox to connect out and do any dirty work behind the scenes if the "container" didn't make us aware of it.

I realize I'm oversimplifying but my knowledge of the process is limited so I invite further education.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Few days ago, I used to force start both Firefox and Plugincontainer. Now I only force start Plugincontainer.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.