Firefox 1.0.7 or Opera 8.5?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Indeed, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indeed

Indeed Guest

Which one is better?

2. Carver

Carver Guest

I like opera 8.5, its my default browser. Its fast, has a small footprint, customizable.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Better depends on personal preference, security wise, Opera is more secure according to Secunia, also Opera implements all the tweaks that you have to do in FF via an extensions to get browsing speed, in the end, it comes down to personal liking for Opera or FF interface and features like extensions etc. Bear in mind, till date, no FF can match Opera's loading times, also Opera is a full suite, mail, news and RSS. and yet has lower memory consumption.

So in the end, weigh your priorities, thoroughly use both and then come to your conclusion, also you can keep both in your system as well.

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

See my avatar for details :D

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Ihave both, and while I use Opera most of the time, if I had to keep only one it would be Firefox. I'm not sure why.

Jerry

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Opera 9 works very well

Attached Files:

7. porkie

porkie Guest

Nothing personal, but such question on "which is better" is quite stupid. There are users/fans for both firefox and opera. In the eyes of Firefox fans, firefox is better. In the eyes of Opera fans, Opera is better. It all depends on personal taste.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would not categorize the question as stupid. That question is often asked regarding all of the anti-malware programs.

I think what a person is really wanting to know are the pros and cons, and if there are any issues with conflicts with other programs.
    Sometimes advice is requested, and the answers are "It depends on how it functions on your system, or what do you want to do with it?"
    The first is only marginally helpful, as that is what the person wants to know, and if he is going to have trouble with the install, operation, or uninstall.

Some of us can do little more than start and operate our machines, and programs must work well OTB. I cannot do much in the way of configuring a firewall for instance. I use LnS with the Enhanced Rule set, and if that is not sufficient, then I am in trouble.

I would submit that we are here to get help, and to help others as we can. Please be understanding when someone does not know nearly as much as the average person here. He is just trying to get help, and this is the place he has chosen, and where a tremendous amount of knowledge exists.

Regards.
    Jerry

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well put, JerryM :)

I have both, and I like both. Opera is faster, but the upcomming Firefox 1.5 is just as fast on my system. "Out of the box" I like the features of Opera better, but you can have all the same features and much much more with Firefox if you browse through the extensions. Unfortunately loading up with too many extensions (which is very easy to do) can slow it down some, but that's only really noticible when you first start it up. When I just want to browse for something quickly, however, I often use Opera. I can't really give you a single recommendation either way, it really depends on how you like to use the internet. Many have installed both and found themselves using one or the other more often (despite really liking both). This really seems like the way to go, it certainly won't hurt anything to do so. Just be sure to take a day and check out the Firefox extensions :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Both are good, use them both.
    It's like someone asking you what you prefer, a Mercedes or BMW?
    I say both!
    Mrk

11. Arup

Arup Guest

:) How bout those of us here who like Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti?

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Totally unacceptable ....
    Mrk

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Opera is more stable, secure and fast, but Firefox is more costumizable...

I'm using Opera 8.50 for now... ;)

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :cool: I think these two browsers are great... both are popular and more secure and faster and better than Internet Explorer. :D

For me I am more comfortable using the Firefox browser for the reasons:

1. I found it to be more easy to use than Opera.
    2. Firefox is more faster on my pc and net connection than Opera.
    3. Firefox is supported by SpywareBlaster, CleanCache 3, Arovax Shield, etc..
    4. Firefox upgrade and updates are fast and always up to date.
    5. Firefox extensions is great... and I could not depart from them.

;)

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Which is better NOD or KAV? :D In other words, both are excellent browsers, take your pick, which do you feel most comfortable with?

Acadia

16. chew

chew Registered Member

I started with Firefox then I paid for Opera (8.50) then upgraded to Opera (9.0) then back to Firefox after I started installing Firefox extensions. The reason I switched back to Firefox again was due to the fact that while on Opera 8.50 my system detected a Trojan. It was just an ordinary Mountain Bike website that I visited. Apparently the website was infected and many visitors to the forum got it too. Opera 8.50 was not hijacked or anything like that but a Trojan was detected on my IE ( I only use IE for WindowsUpdate only btw) which was weird. My confidence on Opera and Firefox are still strong but for the time being I think Firefox might have upper hand in term of security with all the security extensions. I think ... but am not an expert. d;-) P/s: I still use Opera from time to time.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I started with using IE then switched to Firefox, mainly because of the tabs. I now switch between FF and Opera, but use Opera mostly.

18. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have both Opera and Firefox installed.

Most of the time, I use Opera. I like it because it is ready for use right out of box. I do not need to tweak extensions and so on. I use Firefox now and then because Opera can not properly handle one website which I need to visit occasionally.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

And of course you can always use something like Launchy to switch from FF to Opera..

20. HelloGuys

HelloGuys Guest

21. chew

chew Registered Member

HelloGuys "Hi... Nothing to do with Opera. See your resident-AV for a culprit, plus your OS configuration and updates. Rgds" Could you let me know what I should be looking for please? I have McAfee Enterprise V.8.0 with all updates and I am not sure what else I should look for in my OS as I got all the latest patches on. My system is updated all the time. Cheers Chew

22. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

I use Firefox and have Opera as a stand-bye

Memory wise Firefox is a demon - a real hog :(
    but the extensions are truly wonderful. The No Script and AdBlock
    both worth their weight in gold me thinks. There are others
    equally useful. If you like tweaking and little tools - context
    menu freaks and the likes - go for Firefox, you'll love it.

Opera is certainly faster and safer but lacks almost any extension
    support which is a downside for me. Every now and again I get
    fed up with the memory hog and opt for a Firefox free day :)

23. Arup

Arup Guest

About Opera and virus, I have been using Opera since version 2x and one of the reasons I am seldom been infected with net bound viruses or ad bars or hijacks is due to Opera.

24. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

^^^
    +1

25. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

FF is nice, but XUL sucks. Sorta like Swing. Gimme Opera's UI responsiveness everyday.

-RE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.