Firefox 0.9.2 version retains my defaults-extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tassie_Devils, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi....

I decided to go ahead and install the 0.9.2 version of FF. I had already done the patch on 0.9.1 but thought to heck with it.

Here is what I did:

1] I First opened Bookmark Manager and exported my bookmarks to Desktop
    2] Uninstalled .1 [it even asked if I wanted to delete folders, etc. Said Yes]
    3] Reinstalled FF. All went well, no trouble at all.
    4] Opened FF and lo and behold, it retained ALL of Themes, Extensions, Bookmarks, and TAB was still there.....

Huh? Very strange. As I was led to believe you had to actually reinstall Extensions, Skins, Re-Import Bookmarks you saved.

It even still had my Cache.

Well... I check and definitely had 0.9.2 version.

THEN, I realised, I am thinking this is why. If you go to Docs&Settings, Username, Application Data, Mozilla/Firefox folders, those were still in place and it retained all of my settings.

Now, if you really wanted to get rid of it all BEFORE reinstall, I would presume you have to delete the Mozilla Folder which contains all of that info.

I also check with an " about:config " and the .shell extension line was reading correctly as "false"... so it's fine.

Just though I'd post to let people know, that if they want to try that, then it may be the way to go, saves a lot of redownloading extensions, configuring, etc. Then again it may not work, dunno, suck it and see.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 064.GIF
      064.GIF
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Tassie Devils,

I had 0.9.1 and I installed 0.9.2 ontop of the old 0.9.1 without uninstalling it first. I know I am supposed to uninstall it first, but I tried it and everything is working well. It retained everything including themes, extensions, and bookmarks. Help/about shows the correct version and the .shell extension line is correct also.
    I did backup my profile before with MozBackup(very useful) just in case.

I read about problems upgrading from previous Firefox versions.
    Have they improved the upgrade process so we don't have to uninstall now, or was I just lucky that no problems occurred on my system?

Thanks

3. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

It's amazing the number of Firefox users who don't know of the existence of the profile directory! In my view, without this knowledge you will get very fustrated,

The next step is to actually learn with files in the profile directory correspond with bookmarks, passwords, cache ,cookie, permissions ,history, browser settings etc.

Good Luck

4. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

You were lucky, there was essentially no difference between 0.9.2 and 0.9.1 except for a tiny patch to close a security hole. And you apparantly don't use "dangerous" extensions

Try that in the future with 1.0, and you will very likely have problems.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Installing Firefox

Once you have downloaded a Firefox installer or compressed archive, follow these instructions to install:

First, for these preview releases it is strongly recommended that you uninstall any previous version of Firefox first. Installing over the top of an older version may cause unpredictable problems. If you install over the top of an older version and want to file bugs, please do a clean install into a fresh directory before doing so.
    Windows

Double click the FirefoxSetup-0.9.exe installer to start the install.

NOTE - Do not install Firefox over the top of another Firefox installation. If you want to install Firefox 0.9 into the same folder that you had Firefox 0.8 in, uninstall Firefox 0.8 first. Upgrading will be fixed in a future release.

Firefox

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Ronjor and Justhelping,

Thank you!
    I was lucky then. I will make sure I completely uninstall (and delete old install directory) first.
    No more shortcuts for me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.