Firebird becomes Firefox 0.8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by solarpowered candle, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Firebird now becomes firefox
    new release of 0.8 http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

2. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Anyone else trying Firefox 0.8?

It looks like there is an official installer(Firefox setup) now.

The install was easy enough.

4. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

iv been using firebird now called firefox for quite some time im downloading the newist version as i type this and will report back on how things go once i had a lil time to play round with it

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I've done some initial tests and other than compatibility problems with older extensions, it has been rock-solid - it also seems to start a lot faster than 0.7.

I should note: I ended up backing up my "bookmarks.html" file, deleting my Mozilla/Firebird(fox) profile directories, and having Firefox 0.8 create a new profile from scratch. (I then replaced the bookmarks.html file with the one I had backed up.) Doing so resolved a few theme and extension-related issues, plus an odd crash (probably caused by an old extension, or some setting the new 0.8 version didn't like).

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am trying it now and am hoping that it works well. ;)

7. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Hi all

Well I'm running firefox 0.8 now and all seems well regardless of whether I use my old profile or a new one however it does recommend that you create a new profile

Nice should make life a lil easier though id still like to be able to have the choice of having a zipped version

Humm what to say about this well sorry to bash your hard work people but this SUCKS !!!

Cant say I'm impressed with this new “streamlined” download manager I don't like the way it looks and I don't like the way it works I was hoping when they said they'd improved the download manager it meant it saved partial/incomplete downloads like say star downloader or other download managers do however its still lacking this ability which I'm extremely annoyed about coz IMO this is a necessary function

Honestly I don't see much of an improvement here at all well except for the fact that it keep a list of ya downloads instead of having to open loads of download boxes which ok fair enough its more organised though I still prefer the classic look/function IMO there should be an option to switch back to the classic look/function if that's what you prefer which I do

Though downloadaholics out there will likely love this coz they can have loads of downloads going at once with out cluttering there screens with load of download boxes

Nice will make organising ya book marks a bit easer I guess

Superfluous rubbish and not really needed IMO though I guess some people will find it useful

Good an actual useful upgrade means more pages will display right

Personally I don't see what was wrong with it before just read and hit ok or cancel what's hard about that ?? But ill check it out in more detail once the extension page is back up

DETAILED LOG OF FIXES/CHANGE PLEASE !!!!!

Also correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t disabling of form auto-completion also include the typing of URLs in to the address box coz if so I hate to brake it to ya but Disabling of form auto-completion isn’t working coz its still saving URLs I type in to the address box

On a side note anyone know where I can find a detailed list of fixes changes for this version I guess it’s not really important I'm just curious

8. JayK

JayK Poster

That's the safest way, though if you don't use too many old extensions, you can probably get away with reusing your profile but deleting the firebird application directories.

Also, you don't really need to delete your profiles even if you intend to use a new one. just use the profile manager to create a new one while keeping the old profile , this way you have the old profile to refer to.

If you use the master password to save passwords, you should also backup the files ending with .db and signon.txt and copy them to the old profile.

TBE is a major extension that always gets broken, otherwise i had no problems. I stay away from themes, because currently, things are moving too fast, for me to care about themes that might not be upgraded in the future. Extensions at least give you functionality.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well I have been giving it a run and have come to the conclusion that opera is still a much better browser. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.