FINY FIREWALL - WHAT ABOUT IT

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Infinity, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi there, I am licenced to Outpost Pro and I am happy with it but two days ago I installed the new Tiny firewall. I heard good news about it especially their firewall and system protection (acting a bit like process guard).

Now I am wondering if it is a good firewall and I was hoping on some comments here.

thanx

2. Infinity

Re: TINY FIREWALL - WHAT ABOUT IT

it is not Finy but Tiny. could be funny though :D

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Yes, Tiny & Process Guard seem to have the same basic goals in mind. Tiny has 8 different guards that can be applied to each process (file, service, registry, spawning, device, COM objects, system privileges, device privileges). Between that and using Services Control rules, I don't worry much about a trojan shutting down my AV or anything else that I create rules for. Great firewall (or security suite) but a real steep learning curve. Also I've been talking about 5.5.1332, probably won't switch to 6 unitl they realease a new manual for it.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Finy Firewall? Or Tiny Tirewall? :D

But seriously, folks...
    @ se7engreen: It sounds like Tiny is a powerful FW. It also sounds waaay over my head.

Look'n'Stop & Kerio firewalls offer pre-packaged rulesets, designed by geniuses, for use by doofuses like me. Is there such a thing for Tiny? That is, is there a good, all-around ruleset that a newbee can start out with, & then tweak as he/she learns a bit more?

regards... bellgamin

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

bellgamin

Disregard this post.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  6. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin-
    As far as I know, there is no pre-configured ruleset for Tiny. Considering the degree of customization Tiny provides, I doubt there will be one.
    I know what you're saying, Tiny looks a bit overwhelming, but they provide a good detailed manual (even doofuses can read it ;) ) and the support forum is full of expert users. But even with all that help, it still takes some time to learn.

Oh yeah-
    You can set Tiny to run in learning mode. I assume that it monitors apps and creates rules based on how you use them, but I've never used it and can't say if it works well or not.

7. Infinity

thanx for your replies, I knew you guys could help.

I achieve full stealth only with my XP built in firewall on too. if not my port 80 stays open!! I know this is because Spyblocker sits on it, blocking all malware, but my quesion now: does it hurt the two together??

thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.