FinjanSecure, LinkScanner, SiteAdvisor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fred128, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I downloaded all three programs and then Googled, "Free Screensavers." Finjan warns if there is malware in the page itself or it's safe to enter. SiteAdvisor doesn't seem to analyze the page but it warns about bad downloads from it and when Finjan states a page is good or not good, the SiteAdvisor is also warning about downloads from it. The page is probably safe to enter when both programs checkmark it. LinkScanner on the other hand, always shows a green checkmark even though the other two programs give warnings stating that the page is unsafe for browsing or downloading. I think Finjan and SiteAdvisor working together can be a good thing but I'm not so sure about LinkScanner being an effective tool.

I hope others try all three programs and comment about what they think.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc LinkScanner focuses more on exploits, so it will have different results than SiteAdvisor etc.

3. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Hi Fred128,

We _could_ warn about free screensavers, as most are adware supported, but so far, we've made a conscious decision to not detect them. Anytime we look at one, it turns out to be just adware, and offers a clear path for uninstallation. Pretty innocuous compared to the truly dangerous stuff installed by exploit and social engineering tricks.

Would people _like_ us to detect adware-y things?

Roger
    CTO
    LinkScanner.com

4. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Is true... and realtime decisions will always be different from historical decisions too.

Cheers

Roger
    CTO
    LinkScanner.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.