Finjan SurfinGuard Pro-Opinions needed

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by beetlejuice, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I am trying the evaluation version of SurfinGuard Pro. After d/l, I went to their test page and ran the following tests.
    Java Applet Demo
    ActiveX Demo
    Scrap Object
    Executable
    Visual Basic Script
    Java Script
    The only test that SurfinGuard caught was the Java Applet Demo. Since this is the first test on the list, I'm kind of wondering if that after catching it, most users wouldn't test any further and just go ahead and buy it. In other words is this first test "just for show". On all other tests it remained silent and I was able either to d/l the test objects or they were automatically d/ld to my machine. The security level was set to block and automatically kill all of these. Wormguard caught the VBS and JS.
    I know that the evaluation versions of some software are not "fully functional" but Finjan's web site says that the evaluation version will protect against all of these tests. Obviously, it doesn't on my machine. Is anyone using SurfinGuard Pro, and what experiences have you had? Is it worth buying?

2. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

b,

I think you have answered your own question. :)

As I recall, proxo with the right filters can assist in if not kill all of those tests.

see IE vulnerabilities alternative defenses tests 7 thru 9, and my results using IE & Opera.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11975

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.