Finding similar websites to a given website

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

Similar-site.com gives a nice list of other "similar sites" sites with this query. I've tried all of these already, mentioning just those that I thought were the better ones.

3. MrBrian

Another site: http://web.insuggest.com/. This site gives potentially many similar sites, 8 per page, with thumbnails. Also, this site can form suggestions from up to 6 input sites. The site appears to be getting its data from delicious.com.

-Http://similicio.us also recommends similar sites based upon delicious.com data.

Http://wectar.com/ is a very interesting "similar sites" mashup of delicious.com and dmoz.org. Only sites from dmoz.org are listed; there are approximately 4.6 million sites listed in dmoz.org currently. Delicious.com tags are used to help wectar form relationships between items listed in dmoz.org. Filtering can be done by delicious.com tags. Browsing can be done by dmoz.org category.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  4. bgoodman4

Once again thanks. I love these link providers. It would be nice if there were one site that looks at all of them and then rates the hits based on frequency of appearance. A best of the best so to speak.

5. MrBrian

For those times when the aforementioned websites haven't produced good enough results, you may wish to know good keywords for a given site, which you can then use to search other sites, such as Google. Http://delicious.com/url/ will list the most common tags for a given site.

Let's suppose that you use the program Network Notepad to draw networking diagrams and wish to find alternative programs. The query 'www.networknotepad.com' doesn't produce highly focused results with most of the aforementioned "similar sites" sites. The top 3 tags for 'www.networknotepad.com' at http://delicious.com/url are 'network', 'software', and 'diagram', which seems like a good keyword search for what we're looking for. You can then use these three keywords to form a query at your favorite search engine. You could also do a tag search at delicious.com itself, searching for 'tag:networking tag:diagram tag:software' (without the single quotes). You can also do tag searches at http://similar-site.com.

6. MrBrian

You can now view multiple pages of results in Xmarks - yay! :D

7. bgoodman4

:thumb:

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Mr Brian let me join your growing audience of website enthusiasts, thanking you for starting something very useful indeed! With Xmarks I have experienced something else: I had joined/registered with them when you first started this thread.

Ever since I have been testing Win7, back to Vista32, onto Vista64 etc, even though I'm fairly careful, a lot of bookmarks got lost with all this changes, and today as I was signing in after many weeks with my Vista64(Firefox and IE) I was pleasantly surprised to recover all of my lost bookmarks through their server synchronization. It is a pity that it doesn't work with Chrome.

9. CorrectTheory

CorrectTheory Registered Member

Thanks for having nice discussion about my website (similar-site.com) and other websites with similar functions. I recently made an important improvement to the similar site search.

A website has multiple aspects and similar site search tries to match as many of those aspects as possible. However, users may be interested in finding similar sites matching a subset of those aspects. For example, www.mysql.com is tagged as mysql, database, opensource, and so on. The similar site search will return many mysql related sites, which may or may not be exactly what a user wants. To some users similar sites to www.mysql.com are opensource database sites. Since there is no way to satisfy all users at the same time, we provide a feature that let user to pick which tags to use or not to use. In this way users can find similar sites that they want to find.

10. MrBrian

Thank you for the site and improvements :D.

11. bgoodman4

Excellent improvement, much appreciated,,,,not that the site was not appreciated previously,,,it was,,,,now its just that much better.

Thank you.

EDIT: so how do you use the "finding similar sites matching a subset of those aspects" feature? I cannot see any way to do this.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  12. MrBrian

Use the 'Search Options' button.

13. bgoodman4

I do not see a search options button,,,,,,do I have to install the add on?

The attached is a screen shot of Opera and I thought maybe that was the problem but I get the same thing with IE.

Attached Files:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I try to access this site Chrome and Avira show malware warnings.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  15. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Kaspersky reports clean.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. MrBrian

The sites similar-site.com and similarsites.com are different.

18. bgoodman4

That would account for it, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.