Finding cleanup software...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Iluv3cats, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iluv3cats

Iluv3cats Registered Member

Okay I want to know if there is a way to see if someone else has installed something on my computer so they can cover their tracks. I don't know if this is even where I need to post this. Thanks to all who read and/or reply.

2. Stan Sure

Stan Sure Guest

Here are a few locations to check:

1. Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs will display a list of installed software.

2. Look in the "Programs" and "Startup" folder in the Start Menu.

3. Go to Start\Run, type MSCONFIG. Click on Startup tab. On the services tab check the box "Hide all Microsoft Services".

4. C:\Windows\Program files is the default program installation directory.

There are too many of these cleaner products to list. If you find a program you're unsure of try typing the name into Google. Thats what I'd do.

3. Iluv3cats

Spanner,
    My SO and I have had problems with sites he goes to that he shouldn't be. I want to know what is on my computer and what it is being used for. I think I have the right to know and the responsibility to know. I have kept a very close eye on things but after doing some research I realize there are so many ways around things. He probably doesn't think I'm smart enough to figure this out.

Stansure,
    Thank you very much for the tips. I will try them out.

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Oh Dear! .....I think I would be fairly concerned about this. Visiting the 'less reputable' side of the web can expose you to a much greater risk of bugs/infections. I would be looking at some good security apps and which browser he is using. IE has a few flaws which may allow things in. Has SO been cleaning up after himself ie. history/cookies/temp files etc?

5. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hmmm...You know...I've been using Winguard, to keep my teenagers ( ;) )
    from tinkering with the IE-settings by 'accident', and you can also restrict
    some certain other actions done by others you do not approve of. *wink*

There is a FREE & Pro version available. You may want to give it a peek...
    just be careful in case you decide to download, that you not forget your
    PASSWORD, and keep only to yourself, of course, lol.

Some people only learn by practicing "tough love" ~ sad but true.

I know that there are many other programs that may do a far better job of what Winguard does....including what you are looking for, that you mentioned.

But, this one will give you some control, I hope so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FEATURES[/font] In-depth feature listing of WinGuard Pro 2005:
    • Built-in programs: There are over 25 or the most common programs built-in for locking on the free version. Whilst premium users get over 50 built-in programs.​
    • Lock your own programs (Premium only): You can also add any of your own programs for locking. Though many are built-in.​
    • Fully configurable: The software comes with it's own Configuration tool, which is very user friendly, and if you get stuck there is a Help menu to hand.​
    • Password timer: You can set in seconds how long you want to give users to enter the password to access any locked programs. This can help deter hackers.​
    • Screen blank: You can have the screen blank in emergencies, this prevents any use of the computer, and blacks out the screen only leaving a password box to access the entire system.​

• Hide access to the configuration tool: You can stop users from accessing the configuration tool by setting your own password on it. You can also stop them trying to guess the password by disabling the icon on the system tray.​
    • Extra Locking: Did will tell you about Extra Locking? This lets you lock even more features down on your PC. Such as the Desktop, My Computer, Internet Access, Internet Downloading, Software Installations and much more.​
    • Stop people installing software (Premium only): This is a must have for those of you who are sick of users installing software on your computers without your consent. With this feature just a simple click is all that's needed and the software will disable Setup programs, Installers, Self Extracting Exe's, Zip files, the lot.​
    • Help prevent viruses: Using the above feature to stop software installs, this will help prevent such viruses that may be contained in program the user is trying to install.​
    • Lock Files & Folders too: Keep users out of files or entire folders using the optional addon.​
    • Online help: Get help fast using the online help feature.​
    • It's easy to use: It will not bite! It is very easy to use, and looks nice too.​
    • 24 hour technical support: You can also email us for help, and our friendly staff will get back to you promptly.​
    • It's free: WinGuard Pro 2005 is as it states FREE! There is no time limits, or restrictions in the free version what so ever.​

http://www.winguardpro.com/i/spacer.gif
    http://www.winguardpro.com/i/spacer.gif

6. Iluv3cats

Thanks for all of the info. Now I'm wondering if you are runing something in stealth, I believe that's what it is called, then is there a way to find that program?

7. ~*Nat*~

The way I understand you...you want to find out if you have some "spyware" on
    your computer...yes?

Well...there are several programs that can detect them.

One is Spybot-SD & Ad-Aware. (Among some others)

Is this what you want to know ILuv3kitties ?

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

How about this. Instead of finding out all of the persons adult interests which would be very embarassing, why not just stop the user from going on the sites in the first place.

Jimbob

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi Iluv3cats, ;)

Are you looking for a PC Monitoring Program?

Internet monitoring (visited web-sites)
    Recording of e-mails, instant messengers and chats
    High transparency and invisibility in the system

10. ~*Nat*~

Hi dog, ;)
    Though it's only me and not Iluv3....do you know of a Program like this. Free if possible ??

Don't get me wrong now oki?...but I just would loove for me to being able to know if some internet-predator is hitting on my teenage babies.
    They know not to get involved. But...how do "I" know.....:doubt:

11. Iluv3cats

Spanner,
    about the "I have a right to know thing".., I hope I didn't sound mad or anything. I'm just so frustrated. I knew so much about my old computer and this one is very hard to learn. There are maybe too many options and stuff. It's hard to figure all of them out. Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

Jimbob,
    I would like to do that as well. But I'm starting to feel like what good would that be if there is all this other software that can erase everything? I mean will it capture the data before the person can delete it? That sounds kind of stupid, I guess that would be the point of tracking software. Thank you for your response.

Dog,
    I'm with Nat, if you know of a good product that does what you descibe could you please let me know. I hope there is something that is not too expensive. But that sounds exactly like what I would need. Thank you!

Nat,
    It would be great if we could find something free. Let me know if you hear of anything and I'll do the same. I'm checking into that windaurd software. Does this software allow you to block emptying the recycle bin or from deleting files/folders?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.