Finding a suitable lefty mouse

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

My Cherry Shark L mouse is dying and am looking for an alternative but there do not seem to be any left handed ones made any more except for some expensive gaming ones.

My current mouse has 4 programmable buttons that can go forward/back pages and go home/end, and would like to be able to use this feature.

The only ones that seem as if they might do are the touch ones or Logitech pad T610. However I do not know how they would work in Photoshop, CAD programs when you have to grab hold of small slider to move it. Such as in PS adjusting levels where the pointer is very small.

I would welcome anyone's experience with these devices. I don't need it for gaming.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Do you want a "contoured" mouse? If so, that will greatly limit your options. Most contoured mice are shaped for right-handed people.

I recommend you just get a standard shaped mouse. Most come with software to reprogram the buttons.

While I am right-handed, I use the mouse on the left with my left hand. I don't know who really makes the mice and keyboards for Microsoft, but they are top quality. I really like the Wireless 5000. And the Wireless 2000 feels great in either hand and tracks great - but has fewer buttons. It is also a bit narrower.

For something smaller - and great for use with notebooks with traveling is the Logitech V450 Nano. It really does seem to track on any surface.

That said, because the mouse (and keyboard) is an extension of YOUR hand, only YOU can determine if it feels good to YOU. So you need to go visit computer stores and play touchy-feely with the mice yourself.

3. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I've been buying the good old M$ Intellimouse Optical USB (5 buttons) because it's the only one for left handers that is still wired and has a good amount of usuable buttons. You'll probably only find it on Ebay-like shops these days.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look at those and see if they will fit the bill.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I didn't used to like wireless mice when they first came out, but I have not had any problems with the ones I mentioned above. In fact, I now like wireless much better than wired (at least those that connect via Bluetooth). I made of note of when I last replaced the batteries, and it was on Jan 19th. So can't complain there either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.