Finally......BartPE almost

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by photogman, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photogman

photogman Registered Member

Finally, early this morning I was able to slipstream SP2 into my OEM version of XP pro. I used Nlite and it worked after a couple of tweaks. Anyway, this is the tree I ended up with and it is 724 megabytes. Since this is OEM, any idea what I can delete to make it smaller. I haven't even started with the Bart plugins yet.

Thanks to those that handheld me through this process. I really feel the problems encountered earlier was because of my Gateway OEM versio of XP that came with the computer. Nlite asks you when you run it if you want it to remove the hotfixes that may keep you from successfully slipstreaming it.

screen1.jpg

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I can't tell you what to remove. Building BartPE with an OEM source can be a real challenge sometimes. I would go ahead and try to build BartPE pointing to this source. I don't use Nlite but if you have hot fixes included in your source beyond SP2 you could have issues. Did you remove hot fixes beyond SP2 with Nlite?

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Here's what my OEM Xp with Sp2 shows (it was slipstreamed). Hope I remember how to attach pics.:

Attached Files:

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You can safely remove the DOCS folder. While my cd is 627Mb full, the individual files do not add up to that amount - I don't know the reason for the difference.

Correction: the i386 folder is 540 Mb.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  5. thomasjk

If your worried about it fitting on a CD you may want to create the .ISO file and burn it to DVD.

6. photogman

It never dawned on me that it could also be a DVD....that's probably what I'll do. Is the procedure any different making a DVD vs. CD or are we just talking space here.

7. thomasjk

Talking space. Use Nlite and point it at the source you created. Follow the menus. One of the options should be to Create a Bootable ISO. Create the ISO and then use Nlite or your choice of burning sw to burn an "image" file to the DVD.

8. photogman

Well, I was able to slipstream SP2 and burned it to a DVD-RW instead of a DVD-R. It worked, booted, got all the way through re-partitioning, formatting, and on re-boot I got a blue screen of death error:

C000021a Fatal System Error

So, because I don't have a retail version of Win XP Pro, I'm just going to use my Gateway OEM version and then install the SP2 package I've already downloaded. I can get a student's version of Vista Ultimate for about $9.00, but I don't want that. I may either see if Win XP Pro Retail version is available through college or just stick with what I've got. I'm one of those guys that spends a ton of energy trying to make things work perfect, but alas, we don't live in a perfect world :(

I gave it one heckofa try though. I was able to create a slipstreamed CD though I deleted a whole directory to make it fit. The directory was called, SVCPACK I ran across some reference on the internet where a guy deleted an OEM directory and he was able to get it down to a size that fit on the CD. However, I don't know if I could trust that it would load everything on at setup time as it should, so I chickened out trying it.

I'm typing on my wife's computer now....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  9. gww528

gww528 Registered Member

TI 11 boot recovery disks does not work on my system. Are you trying to make a disk recovery for TI version 11? If you are I am interested in your successful results.

Thank you,
    g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.