filseclab vs. Netvada vs. Jetico: your take?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by brjoon1021, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

[off topic]
    The survey is slightly flawed in that it lists Snort, snort is not really a firewall, it doesn't actually block anything itself.
    [/off topic]

It's given the idea to try the latest version of Zone Alarm Pro, and it's good, except it blocks UPnP (which is good or bad depending on how you view it)

2. Matt.H

Matt.H Registered Member

I am currently trialing Filseclab (I keep typing Filesclab), and have found the general ease-of-use and low memory footprint (at least, on my machine) to be quite satisfactory to my needs. I shall run some tests on it soon, but so far for a free-product it "ain't half bad" ;)

3. squibbon

squibbon Guest

I've tried all three, and my personal ranking of them would be as follows:

(1) Filseclab
    (2) NetVeda
    (3) Jetico

I like the way Filseclab handles rulemaking (reminds me of both Kerio 2.15 and Sygate) and its Monitor feature is outstanding.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am trying Filseclab and so far it seem like it is pretty well behaved and pretty easy to configure. I tried Jetico but the pop up's drove me nuts :eek:

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I'm trying it too and I am quite impressed. Filseclab (what's i a name) seems to be doing a good job but what I find a bit odd is the fact that the source code is for buying. What is the maker wanting to do? Stop the development? Or just earn a buck from a company that wants to invest, so that we can keep a good firewall for free?

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Source code is for the older version 2.5, actually a good ploy, that way, they can further develop the firewall and some other company can use it to develop their own.

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

To bigc and Edwin
    Seeing that you are now "trying" filseclab...
    -are you behind a router?
    -did you have to change Rules 20 & 23 from deny to pass, in order to allow Port 67 & 68?. I gather that to get DHCP services from the router, one has to open these ports and I am not sure if doing this creates a security hole in the firewall.
    Your feedback is appreciated.
    Cheers :)

8. hollingwood

hollingwood Registered Member

I am trying out Filseclab and find it is working well. I am behind a Belkin router, and have not touched either rule 20 or 23 both still set at deny. no problems in DHCP from the router.

Hollingwood

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Hollywood
    Thanks
    It seems to work for most people who use it.
    I guess it will not work for me, so I leave it alone.
    Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.