Filseclab vs Kerio 2.1.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hipgnosis, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Just curious what others thought. I am running Kerio 2.1.5 on one PC and Filseclab on another but would like to eliminate one of these. I like both of them but I am admittingly not an expert when it comes to firewalls. I am behind a router so what I am primarily concerned with is control over what is connecting out. I know that Kerio runs lighter, but Filseclab is not overly heavy on resources so that is not really an issue.

Between only these two firewalls, which would you recommend? It would also be appreciated if you would elaborate as to why you recommend one over the other.

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I have used both, have tried a few others, but went back to Kerio 2.1.5. The thing I like about the Kerio firewall is that it is one that has stood the test of time since it came out. Also, it is the most configurable of all the firewalls I've tried, and you can tweak the rules as much as you like. I used Kerio 4 for quite awhile (paid version), but I like the simplicity of 2.1.5 much more. Also, there are other apps I use for blocking ads and web filtering, so all I really wanted was a firewall with no bells and whistles. From what I've researched about firewalls, Kerio 2.1.5 is one of the best firewalls ever to hit the market. I know people say it is out of date, but I disagree. If all you want your firewall to do is act like a firewall, an older version does the same thing as the new versions. All of the new firewalls with all the added features are resource hogs in my opinion. Kerio 2.1.5 is tested - I would go with it.

My main gripe with the Filseclab firewall is its resource usage when adding additional rules. After adding blocked IP ranges to the rules, it did not run light, starting using a lot of memory and the CPU usage climbed steadily. If you are behind a router then that is not as much of an issue with your software firewall. At the same time, if you're like me, you like to run as light as possible, and Kerio 2.1.5 runs the lightest of any firewall I've tried (which lists includes Zone Alarm, Jetico 1, Commodo, Sygate, Filseclab). Another good thing is that there are some good tutorials on how to maximize Kerio at several different forums, so you don't have to rely on your own ability to configure it correctly. Filseclab is probably more straightfoward and a little easier to configure, but I feel a lot safer online with Kerio.

3. [DSLR]poppster

[DSLR]poppster Registered Member

4. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Thanks for the replys and good info. I have taken your suggestions and am going to stay with Kerio 2.1.5 and remove Filseclab.

5. [DSLR]poppster

[DSLR]poppster Registered Member

I think anything is better than Filseclab.....

Good Luck!

6. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Although it's not on that list, Kerio PF 2.1.5 would probably score very low. That's because it's a pure firewall and not a firewall/HIPS like the ones that scored well. Nevertheless, it does not matter since one can compensate for that by running a HIPS program, such as System Safety Monitor (SSM).

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.