Filseclab latest truly excellent

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Arup, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

The latest one is way more improved from the old one and with many more features including ICS support. Best of all it is free and has a low memory footprint, check it out at http://www.filseclab.com/eng/products/firewall.htm

I am using it currently and runs smooth without any issues.

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Ah, thanks for the info. I'd seen that it had been updated and was thinking about trying it. I tried the previous version and was very impressed with it, so I'll have to give it another tryout.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

You will like this one even more, far better and has limited anti spyware functionality as well.

4. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

hi.Arup.thanks for posting this firewall.i never heard of it. but after testing it for three houres i love it.i was having problems with jetico not letting me get windows updates.but after uninstalling and installing Filseclab.i got my updates rite away.thanks... :D

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This Firewall have a nice update :)

I will use it for a while...

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Whats amazing is that you get response to your queries from the developers in hours and that too in English, this is truly a good lightweight and free firewall, I would rate it better than NetVeda for now.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have a cons for this firewall: the resources used! :(

To high for what I like in a firewall...

8. Arup

Arup Guest

X-Filter.exe is 11mb on my system, not bad compared to others, considering what it offers.

9. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Its 20 MB on my system. I have installed it on my home PC. Working fine so far.

Cheers

Akshay.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Just found out that Filseclab also incorporates a Trojan blocker, it blocked a Trojan trying to enter through a certain port.

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Use about 20MB more 6.5MB of FilMsg.exe...

And the CPU is always between 2-20%...

12. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

i don't know why but filseclab is only 0.80mb on my system.and the resources.are very low cpu 2% mem usage is 4.024k.iam happy with it.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Looking at the screenshots it does look quite impressive (I've always liked it as a freebie anyway). Can anyone give details on the new features? Screenshots?

Thanks!

14. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

After a reboot, the mem usage has come down to 11 mb.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition 3.0 has more great changes, there have a lot of new features and big improvement added to this version, they are:

Newly added: Built-in rules for blocking the worm virus attacks.
    Newly added: Built-in rules for blocking the Adware and Spyware.
    Newly added: Firewall mode wizard.
    Newly added: Digital signature verification can automatically trust the well-known program.
    Newly added: Password protection.
    Newly added: Privacy protection.
    Newly added: Supports Windows Security Center (XPSP2).
    Newly added: Balloon message alert.
    Newly added: Resolve IP address.
    Newly added: Text log file.
    Newly added: Backup and restore the rules.
    Improvement: Supports maximization and resizing.
    Improvement: The rules management supports multi-selection, move down, move up, and also can pause the rules.
    Improvement: All lists support find, copy and save-as.
    Improvement: Traffic graph supports incoming traffic, outgoing traffic and total traffic. and it also supports resizing and changeable scale.
    Improvement: Supports right-click menu on the list panel.
    Improvement: Supports the property dialog box for the list.
    Improvement: Adds a lot of keyboard shortcuts.
    Improvement: The connection can be cut off from the Connections monitor panel.
    Improvement: Supports dynamic creation rules based on the monitor records.
    Improvement: Supports kill-process or find-target from the monitor panel.

About the GUI, I can't see anything special that you can't see on the website ;)

16. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I took a look at the website, and there are 2 versions of FPF which appear to be Free.

Filseclab Personal Firewall
    Professional Edition

Filseclab Personal Firewall
    Standard Edition

I couldn't seem to find out any info on the differences between them ? Can anybody please explain if they know.

Thanks.

StevieO

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The standard is the older version. The new version have Pro instead...

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Awesome, very impressive.. thanks VC :)

I think I know a system or two that this will be great for :)

19. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Has anyone tried the firewall against any of the standard leaktests?

20. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I put it against a few of them and it did not do very well. It failed all of Wallbreaker, Surfer, PCAudit 1 & 2, Ghost, and Thermite.

Personally, this does not put me off at all. I think this is an impressive firewall, especially for being free. The built in Monitor is the most functional packet-logging tool I've seen in any personal firewall.

I do wonder if there's a memory leak? When I start the virtual machine I have it installed on, the mem usage is about 10.5MB & VM size is about 5MB. After about an hour or more, it climbs to about 19 or 20 MB & VM of about 6.5 to 7 MB.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

This isn't a component control firewall like ZAP, but it does allow easy and tight rule making like Kerio and also worm, Trojan and spyware blocking.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just installed it here to have a look, and I don't see any sign of memory leak so far. It is running at 19.5mb total here after only a few minutes, so that's probably normal for it. Xfilter.exe is at 14.5mb and Filmsg.exe is at 5mb also.

I am impressed so far, although at first the rules section looked a little confusing, until I studied it some and now it seems fine. There are quite a few rules created for General Mode, but as long as things work well then that's fine I guess.

Will run it for a while and see how it goes. Looks nice though. Thanks Arup.. :)

23. Arup

Arup Guest

You are welcome Kerodo, and for anyone needing support or interested in making this free firewall the best out there, please feel free to contact Tom at Filseclab at bright@bbn.cn

I was looking for a Kerio 2.15 replacement and this suits me fine.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am most impressed with the fact that it seems to be bug free, which is truly rare. It does seem to be a nice choice.. :)

25. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have just had a quick look at it and I cannot find a loopback option in it. I use Proxo and anything can connect through it, rather like Sygate.

Can this be fixed in F/lab?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.