Files removed by online scanner?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rj1975, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rj1975

rj1975 Registered Member

Hi,

Are the files removed by Online Scanner removed permanently or are they somewhere in quarantine?

The problem is that if it finds one file within a zip or rar file being infected, it deletes the whole zip or rar file (therefore losing many clean files as well :'( ).

So I wonder if there is any way of restoring the files that have been deleted by the online scanner?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

Actually I haven't got EOS installed, so check this directory:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner
    Best regards

Lukas

3. rj1975

rj1975 Registered Member

Hi,

I've checked that folder. In there are bunch of .nup files (in folder nup) and also files with extensions .000, .002, and so on which seem to be Scanner files (they have a header:
    NOD32-MODULE - copyright (c) 1994-2008 ESET software

version: 3114 (20080520)
    build: 12704
    date (dd.mm.yyyy): 20.05.2008
    type: compiled)

So, are the files "cleaned" by OnlineScanner lost for good ?

Of course, it would've been a nice thing to warn about that on the scanner page :(

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just performed a scan using the simple eicar test file and haven't located it as of yet after it said it deleted it. Others more knowledgeable would have to confirm for sure if it saves it in restorable condition somewhere.

It appears it does what it says it will do if the Removed found threats box is checked before selecting the Scan button.

EsetScan.jpg

5. rj1975

rj1975 Registered Member

that's fine if the deletion only regards that one file with a virus. But to wipe out the entire archive file where the infected file was in, is a bit too harsh, in my opinion.
    It's kind of same as "hey, I couldn't fix that one infected file so I just deleted your whole partition..." :thumbd:

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You could use the scanner just to scan without placing a checkmark for the removal option. If something is found , you can delete it manually or with other tools.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's more than a little over the top don't ya think o_O

In any case, don't forget to un-check the Removed found threats box before your next on-line scan :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.