files locked

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by snowbound, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi everyone :)

When i do a scan with nod32 there are always some files locked so they can't be scanned.

(see screenshot, sorry iam not very good at it) ;)

I have nod set to scan all files. I know why spybot is locked because it is password protected.

Is there some way i could scan these files? Should i even worry about it?

I'm a newbie so i'm not exactly sure about this. :D

Thanks

Snowbound

Attached Files:

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Hi Steve, ;)

As the comment at the bottom of your screen shot indicates, those files cannot be opened for scanning because the owning application (in some cases, the Windows kernel itself) has them marked as "open exclusive", which means "don't let any other process touch this".

The only way around this is to either close the application which has the file opened, and, where that isn't possible (such as for pagefile.sys and the registry hives), to scan the files outside of that Windows environment. This isn't practical or necessary, IMO, because locked files are not at risk of infection to begin with.

For files that are held open by an application, here are a couple handy freeware tools, courtesy of Sysinternals:

Process Explorer (requires debug privileges to run)

Handle (command line utility; works great as a shell extension with a batch file, requires administrative privileges to run)

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Nameless :D

Thanks for easing my mind on this.

I was worried about risk of infection but u say if they are locked this is no problem.

I will look into those 2 apps also.
    They look very interesting.

Thanks again

Steve er snowbound ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.