Files backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Having experimented with drive backups, I ventured onto file backups.

I created a task to do a full system copy and verify creating a backup file different than the one I was using with drive back ups.

I was astonished to see how slowly this progressed, not to mention it used ALL of the physical memory and was slowing growing the use of the page file. Obviously, if the page file has to be used, then this will be a very inefficient process, so I killed the task.

If I create a task to do incremental file backups, can that task work off of a base backup that was created as a drive backup, or must it work off of a base backup that was created using a file backup?

I'd like to use full drive backups, but somehow speed up the incremental backups. 95 minutes is just too long for an incremental backup, especially since a full backup takes less than 180 minutes, tho it uses more disk space.

What's the best strategy?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have discovered one of nature's truths: file backups are slow compared to disk image backups.

The best use of file backups is for specific data folders such as My Documents and possibly folders with data from other programs that do not use My Documents such as email programs, etc. This will keep the files selected small compared to all the system and program files, and incremental backups (which must be based on the same file backup selection) very fast.

3. Howard Kaikow

I've always known that file backups are slower, they have to be.

But I ran a file backup with the demo 2323 a few months ago, do not recall the same behavior, i.e., eating al te memory and using the paging file.

My question remains: When I define a task for an incremental file backup, can I base the backup on a full drive backup?

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

clip_image002.jpg This is what I get when I try to set a Files/Folder backup as an Inc to a Full disk backup. So I guess the answer is no.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Think we may have discovered another TI 9.0 "anomaly". Ignore the warning, continue as far as the "Proceed" button and then click the "Back" button until you return to the image selection screen. Select the same "Full" disk image as before, click "Next" and this time you will be presented with the option to create an incremental image. If you select "Create incremental backup" and click "Next" TI will throw up the warning below.

Still, either way, I reckon the anwer is still "No".

Regards

Attached Files:

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I buried Paul .....

:D :D :D :D

7. Howard Kaikow

Ayup, I guess the answer is NO.

So, if I use TI, I'm stuck with drive backups.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that TheWeaz and Menorcaman are quite correct as Acronis True Image 9.0 does not allow creation of a file-based incremental\differential backup based on a disk\partition full image.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I've reproduced the problem you have described on my computer and therefore forwarded this issue to our Development Team. It will be fixed in the future builds of a particular product. I'll let you know when the fixed build will be available. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Howard Kaikow

Thanx fer the confirmation.

As implemented, I would not use the files based backup anyway because of the way memory and page files are used.

11. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

I'm glad to inform you that this issue has been fixed already. The fix will be implemented in builds higher than 3550.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Alexey,

Many thanks for the update.

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.