Filehosting DL privacy

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by PotatoShredder, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PotatoShredder

PotatoShredder Registered Member

Hello! Been around the forum for a while. I'm not really that concerned about my privacy, but one thing has annoyed me a bit:

I've been using tor for quite a while. But it seems it does not help cloaking my IP when downloading directly from file-hosting sites (Mainly I use rapidshare and megaupload). Is there a way to work around this by downloading through a proxy or something even more secure and anonymous? So far I've only seen this for torrents, but since I'm no expert, it might work too.

I hope someone got a good answer for this, since I'm clueless.

Thank you :)

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Yes, Tor would be extremely slow for that purpose and it's not what it was really designed to do. Any OpenVPN-based VPN provider (discussed all over this sub-forum) would suit your purposes. Many advertise and market their use for torrents, but they work for all the mega/anonymous file downloading sites as well. It's just an encrypted connection from you to the VPN.

3. PotatoShredder

PotatoShredder Registered Member

Hello. Thanks. I had to be sure. Well, I'll go through the list of VPNs and find something that suits me.

Thank you very much!

One last question: My doubts began when I could see the rapidshare download link in the history when while using tor, yet the homepage of rapidshare was not to be seen on my history. Does this mean I download somewhat directly without Tor even if it's turned on. Because I don't see how it fits, since I first enter the site and waiting line on a Tor IP, but I download with my own IP. Is it still going through Tor some way then?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.