file synchronization

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFuser, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

any free recommendations?

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

AlwaySync has a file transfer limit. When you exceed the limit, the free app stops and pops-up suggesting you use the paid version. Not sure of the number of files to trigger this. All I know is I exceeded it.

I've switched to SyncBack. There is a free version:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

hth,

...screamer

4. asyland

asyland Registered Member

Another vote for SyncBack Free. I've been using it to sync my entire data drive (about 30GB) to an external drive for months now and have not experienced one error.:thumb:

5. WSFuser

ok ive used SyncBack Free for a little bit and it seems to do what i want, but i have a question:

can i modify a profile to synchronize files from destination to source?

im just too lazy to recreate profiles.

6. asyland

Do you mean synchronize or backup? Because if you choose synchronize, it doesn't really matter which drive you have chosen as your source or directory as it simply compares the two and makes them identical by adding/deleting/changing files in both. The files that are giving priority are determined by the choices in the advanced tab, for example: "Newer file overwrites older file" or "Larger file overwrites smaller file".
    If you meant Backup (for copying files from one drive/folder to another) you can change that on the "Simple" tab by changing your source and destination at the top of the page. For example, I have "D" as my source and "H" (external drive) as my destination, which backs up the entire drive. I could simply flip them, making H the source and D the destination if I want. Again I could then fine tune the rules of how SB adds/deletes files on the advanced tab. You can also tweak the settings even more by choosing "Expert Mode" on the bottom of the window, but in all the time I've used it, I've never found it necessary. For example, it lets you compress files, run a program after synching, and choose more specific compare options, like exactly which attributes to watch. However, most of the compare options in expert mode will drastically increase run time, and again, I've never found them necessary.

7. WSFuser

currently i have syncback to synchronize from source to destination (like a backup i guess) but i wanted to do the opposite (destination to source).

i know i could just switch the source and destination, but i was hoping for an easier method.

8. asyland

I think switching the two is as easy as SB gets. Instead of switching the two all the time and resetting options, I finally created a new profile for reversing the two, In the end it's proven quicker just to select a profile to run. You could try Karen's Replicator. I don't have any experience with it, but I've read it's reliable.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

9. WSFuser

thanks i will try that.

10. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Instead of modifying your profile, why not just create a second profile. In that case, you'll only have to do it once.

11. WSFuser

well i found syncback has a "restore" feature which does what i want, but i have yet to test it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.