File sync help please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have what seems to me an odd issue.

I have a large mp3 collection and I periodically will sync the collection between external drives. Lately I have been getting an error message (something) to the extent of "cannot read from the source disk". I have done a bit of detective work and discovered the offending file (or files) is (are) in a particular folder (there are about 1400 files in the folder). I am able to use XYplorer to copy the folder from the source drive to the 2nd drive without issue. Once I have copied the folder if I run the sync program again it will successfully sync the balance of the collection.

Is it possible, or likely that the problem is with the sync program itself? Or is a particular file(s) likely to be the culprit and if so how can I identify the file(s)?

2. bgoodman4

Really? No one has anything to say about this issue? And I thought you folks knew everything there was to know about PCs,,,at least collectively :rolleyes: :)

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i know the feeling

anyway, have you tried using another sync program? i recommend this as it uses the volume shadow service to copy locked files so that will help you rule out a few issues.

4. bgoodman4

Thank you, I was thinking of trying another sync program but thought I would wait for input from Wilders folk. I also thought it might be an idea to use TerraCopy to copy the whole collection to another drive. TerraCopy will identify problem files and may enable me to fix whatever is wrong (if anything is). I will try the program you have suggested, thank you very much.

5. bgoodman4

I think I may have found the offending file. Its an mp3 file. I tried to burn a CD and the burner program was not able to burn this particular track, there was a message that the possible problem was a copy-right lock. I do not buy from any sites that have copyright locks (I use soundlke.com and MP3vips.com) and this is the first time I have run into this issue since I started collecting.

Do you think this could be the cause of the problem?

6. treehouse786

that does seem like a strange issue, i can understand why the burner program never let you burn the mp3 but i dont see how the copyright lock would prevent you from actually copying the file. maybe the file is corrupted or the that particular part of the hard drive is corrupted.

try running a check disk so you can rule that out. especially considering that the original error message you received ("cannot read from the source disk") is quite common with bad hard drive sectors.

7. bgoodman4

I would expect that if there was a corrupt file or bad disk I would not be able to copy it regardless of the program I used. As noted above I was not able to sync it using the sync function in Free Commander but had no problem copying all the files (manually) with XYplorer and TerraCopy had no issues copying the entire collection to a new external drive. Further, I am not certain that the copyright lock was in fact the problem. As mentioned I tried to burn a disk but could not. The message said that a copyright lock MAY be the problem. I then played the file and recorded the track via the sound card using Sony SoundForge. I then tried to burn the disk using that file. This time I got a message that the file name was too long. I shortened the name and the disk burned without problem.

Is there a program that I can use to scan my collection to find out if there are any copyright locked files.

8. treehouse786

hmm this seems like a very specific issue. i'm afraid i wont be of much help without having your computer in front of me.

please run a check disk as stated before so we can rule that out, i know it might seem strange but the original error message you received is related to an access issue.

i tried looking for a software which scans copyrighted content but i could not find any, dont think they exist but i could be wrong.

9. bgoodman4

Thanks, I will run the check disk over the next day or so and will report the results.

10. bgoodman4

Problem solved. I found that there was a small symbol under one of the letters in the name of the track (it looked like a stylized comma). Once I removed the symbol the track syncs with no issue.

Thanks for your interest and input treehouse786, much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.