File submission question on a file already deleted

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Skywolfe, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywolfe

Skywolfe Registered Member

I had a detection a while back on a file that I had downloaded and it was asked to be submitted to ESET.I deleted the file beforehand but got the popup anyway and as of right now, it seems to increase in the submission que. the question I have. is how do you clear that entry within eset or is there any way to at all?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I would think Cache is the same folder for quarantined files. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. Skywolfe

yes it is located under Charon. and thanks guys. cache is cleared.. yes!! wasn't real sure if it was something like it was continuing to find files or if it was just something that was stuck. it looks like it was just stuck (for the time being anyway)

5. stanr

stanr Registered Member

I have the same problem using Eset Smart Security, a file already deleted and in the to be sent to Eset under Threat Sense.

I do not have the folder "Cache" under "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security" Where would I find it to clear it?

System: Windows 7 x64

Thanks, Stan

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest clicking the bubble, selecting the desired files and clicking either the Submit or Cancel button so that you won't be prompted for submission of the files in ThreatSene.Net cache again.

7. stanr

stanr Registered Member

I tried your suggestion but it had a weird effect.

Using the "Entire Setup Tree" > "ThreatSense.net" > "Advanced Setup" I have set the "Suspicious Files" tab to "Ask before submitting". On the "Statistics" tab "During Update" Every time I canceled it the balloon returned to ask my for permission to submit again. Every time I update the balloon opens.

Now the balloon appears even when I am not updating. The balloon opens every few minutes asking for permission to submit.

I have disabled ThreatSense submissions.

Is there any way I can delete this file?

8. toxinon12345

Click the submit button and the Dialog will dissapear.

9. stanr

stanr Registered Member

I want to delete the file from the list, not submit it.

I've already deleted the questionable file from the computer.

I don't understand why Eset wants to submit a file I've deleted. Is the program holding a copy of the file someplace on my computer?

10. Marcos

Check or uncheck the desired files in the submission list and click Submit. Unchecked files will be removed from the ThreatSense.Net cache.

11. stanr

stanr Registered Member

Marcos,

Thank you.

Stan

12. Skywolfe

on my computer it is in the program data\Eset\Eset smart security\Charon folder
    that is where the cache files are as well as any files that might be waiting in the que to be submitted. to remove them. you follow the same steps that are in the knowledge base article

that will also bring your cache to 0% when you do this. I still have files that wait in the que sometimes. but they don't stay there very long anymore.

13. stanr

stanr Registered Member

Skywolf,

The method suggested by Marcos seems to have removed the file. However, the cache is still showing 18%. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Thanks for the information.

Stan

14. Marcos

I'd leave it as is. By deleting the whole cache manually you may be prompted for the same files again even if you've already selected not to submit certain files.

15. Skywolfe

it didn't for me. because there was no confirmation dialog for the files that were"in waiting " to begin with like there usualy would be. the count just kept increasing anyway. still don't know what caused that one.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  16. stanr

stanr Registered Member

Skywolf,

That didn't work for me, in fact created, start up errors when I rebooted.

I booted back to safe mode and restored the cache file and start up seems to be back to normal. The questionable file no longer exists as far as I can see using the method Marcos recommended, pending files is 0. However, the cache is now 19%.

17. Skywolfe

hmm. I dunno then. my situation was a bit different because the files that were in waiting just increased everytime I did something and yet there was really no submission confirmation dialog. accept for the first time. I didn;t get to the bubble fast enough to see what was going on and it just kind of stalled from there I guess. I have mine set to ask before submission too. it just never did.

18. toxinon12345

By selecting which files must be submited and which not, the dialog seems to disappear while preserving the contents of the quarantine. :thumb:

anyway I always submit all samples.

19. Skywolfe

yes, if it allows you to do that. it was not allowing me to that was the difference. they weren;t showing up as submitable. and when I chose to submit now. it still didn't do anything.

20. Marcos

That's fine, the data in cache will be used when you encounter the same files you've already (dis)approved for submission so you won't be prompted again.

21. toxinon12345

I think 2 different files should be used: one file remembering the objects refused by the server (cache) and the other file remembering the objects to send.

22. stanr

stanr Registered Member

Thanks Marcos. I don't think I'll be running in to that file again. I deleted it at first notice from Eset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.