File remnants and freezing/lag/skip

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SquishyJohnny, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishyJohnny

SquishyJohnny Registered Member

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/examplerpb.jpg/

The above picture is an example of one of many folders showing up which I have thought to be deleted "Ragnarok online"

Today as I was trying to put an exclusions on one of my programs for real time scanning on Eset Smart Security I then noticed a couple of folders popping up as options for exclusion. Folders which i've deleted months-years ago. I opened up C drive and checked program files and opened up "show hidden files/folders" and I didn't see the folders as stated as there in the exclusions box. Are the folders actually there or is something making Eset show it as there?

Also another problem i've been having after downloading Eset Smart Security i've noticed that sometimes my computer freezes up and lags/skips which has never happened before prior to installation of Eset. It is more noticeable when I am watching anime or listening to music as the audio loops the last syllable/letter said over and over. The freezing occurs over a period of a couple minutes and then just stops and happens again at some random point of time. Is this the work of Eset Smart Security or is my laptop to blame?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The only explanation that occurs me is that you've imported the configuration with the previously defined exclusions.

It'd be interesting to know if it happens also when downloading executable files or archives with executable files. It shouldn't happen when downloading media files, such as avi, mp3, etc.
    The thing is web protection scans each downloaded file with maximum settings. If you download a large archive, it's first unpacked to the disk and subsequently each unpacked file is scanned. This may take even several seconds or even minutes when you download large archives. For this reason, there's an option to set up a size limit for scanned files. Of course, we do not recommend enabling it, but for some it may be a good compromise to set a reasonable size limit (several MB at least) and rely on real-time protection that would catch potentially malicious files upon extraction.

3. SquishyJohnny

SquishyJohnny Registered Member

It doesn't freeze when I download files all I can think of is it probably happens when I open up other programs such as search and destroy bot. I think it occurs when Eset starts scanning my computer and I proceed to open a bunch of other programs. Thank you for helping me.

Edit: Actually I just recalled that today when I was downloading a 1.2GB gamesetup EXE file during the middle of the download I started to freeze up and lag but it subsided after a couple of minutes. Update: Just now as I started up two 230MB a piece torrents for MKV files I had subsequent small bouts of lag which subsided. I guess this is all going towards your general direction of what's going on.

"The only explanation that occurs me is that you've imported the configuration with the previously defined exclusions."

This is my first ever install of Eset i've never imported any previous exclusions. It puzzles me greatly knowing that Eset shows the folders as there and when I check it isn't.

I'm running on a sony vaio laptop, Vista 32bit, Intel core duo CPU 1.80ghz, 2gb ram if it matters.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.