File protection

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by cruchot, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

The File Protection is part of the Virtual Mode module.

The protection can be enabled even if VM is inactive. Ok. But I was surprised that the File Protection is indeed active - I couldn't rename a file in the protected folder. Is this by design? My expectation was that the protection will be activated only together with the VM.

And secondly, with active FP I couldn't read/rename/create a file in the folder. Ok, but I was able to delete a file!?

2. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

No need to think about this further. Just dropped RSS from my system.

- After enabling VM and rebooting the system the Firefox and all addons settings were completely reset to their initial default settings (=settings after a new installation)
    - The System Restore feature of Windows is defect now: "the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with [0x80041321]"

Unfortunately it seems they don't have a money-back guarantee.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The File Protection is there to provide some additional security against malicious changes on non-system disks and works independently of the other features. It is located in the Virtual Mode section in the current GUI as its use is most often associated with Virtual Mode use. IOWs, provides additional protection as described while virtualized.

It is designed however to function at all times rather than just with activation of the Virtual Mode to provide that protection even though the authorized user may be changing the status of the Virtual Mode for whatever reason.

In function it simply removed write access for anything protected until released by said authorized user.

The software is functioning as intended and this is expected if you updated or added FF add-ons while in Virtual Mode. To keep these changes you need to add the applicable FF folders on the System to your File Manager list and then configure the autosave to save the data to the real disk at an appropriate interval.

My guess is that you went too far with your last registry cleaning. Take a look at the following thread and let me know if this helps resolve the issue with system restore:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/7f9f9f80-0473-4e5f-bfc0-2b5966d03547

Please try the above before you are ready to throw in the towel.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.