File locked

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JohnFL, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnFL

JohnFL Registered Member

Having had NOD32 for about a month now, i want to start learning the program and mastering it. So i want to start with some very basic things first.

I've noticed that when i do a "RUN NOD32", that certain files are always displayed as "C:\pagefile.sys - error opening [file locked] [4]"

Ofcourse i have many, and i mean MANY of these error messages when doing a scan. And it appears that it normally the same files on every scan.

So here is my question... would it speed up the scan if i added each one of these error files into the AMON> Setup> Exclusions and then ADD them there?

My thinking is that i would run the scan over the next week or so, and compare the logs and see which files are always locked, and add them to the Exclusions. Is this thinking flawed, or even worth messing with?

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. JohnFL

JohnFL Registered Member

Thankful....

I have read this "[4] Locked Files are password protected or Windows System Swap Files, it is unlikely for such a file to be infected, however the possibility still remains." But, that does not answer my question. Would it be beneficial to add these files to the exclusions or not? I am asking if it will speed up the scan by adding them to the exclusions.

4. JMJade

JMJade Registered Member

I am no expert, but would have thought adding locked files to the exclusion list would actually slow the scan down - albeit marginally.
    When NOD32 finds a file that is locked it will move straight to the next file - if it has to check each file name against the exclusion list, surely that will then take fractionally longer?

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The exclusion list is not meant for adding locked files. It is meant for files that need to be placed there which cause a problem with NOD32. As to whether a scan will run faster with locked files added to the exclusion list, I don't know.

6. JohnFL

JohnFL Registered Member

Well if locked files should not be messed with, then why in the world does NOD32 even publish them in the logo_O?? I've had this program for only about a month, and already i feel i made a mistake getting it. I wanted a good program that would protect my system, and is fast. Well so far it is protecting my system, but it certainly isn't very fast. And to that you can add that it is not very user friendly. Why show stuff you can't or shouldn't do anything about? Maybe it's time i got my wallet out again, and buy something like Kaspersky.

I don't want to sound like i am sore about this program, but so far it hasn't shown me any reason why "some" people think it is so good!

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

For an objective measure of on-demand scanning speed, take a look at the latest comparative at www.av-comparatives.org

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi JohnFL, welcome to Wilders.

I would suggest a run through the NOD32 Tutorial it will give you a greater understanding of NOD32.

Cheers :D

9. JohnFL

JohnFL Registered Member

Blackspear....

Thank you for the welcome. I have looked at your tutorials quite a few times. I have to admit that without your tutorial, the majority of the people who run NOD32 for the first time, would be very disappointed in this program. When i read up on NOD32, i read quite a few articles that seem to tell people to shy away from this program, cause it is so diverse. That probably is one of it's strong points, to most of the people who understand this program.

But i feel that if the ESET people would have spent more time in laying out this program, instead of making it so "open", then a lot of us wouldn't have such a hard time with it.

With that being said, i have read your tutorial enough times now to know that this is not a program i am going to feel at ease with. I originally told my friends that this was probably a very good program to run, but i have changed my mind.

I want a program that gives my system the best protection possible. What i don't want is a program that i am going to be constantly wondering why they do this and why they do that. I'm sure some of your friends on here are going to chuckle, that i am giving up too easy. But i didn't pay my money to buy a program that is going to frustrate me.

Anyways, thank you for the welcome, and i think it's time i cooled down. I've let my emotions speak for me on this subject, and that is not always the best thing to do hi hi.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You have this with NOD32. I would suggest that you set it up as per the Tutorial and let it do its job silently in the background. Over time you will be impressed.

Cheers :D

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello JohnFL.

It seems to me that your main concern with NOD is it's scanning speed. Well, you're in for a little surprise with Kaspersky then. Don't forget to trial the software for the full grace period before you buy it. In that way you can also see if the GUI suits you. ;)
    As for the adding locked files to exclusions, if you really have that MANY of them, I believe exclusions will make your scans a bit quicker. But I'm not sure, of course. Why don't you try it yourself and then repost back with info. I believe there are few of us here who would like to see your test results.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.