File extraction from archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by guest, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

I would be grateful for help on:- Is it possible to extract separate folders and files from a
    complete disc archive (arc__..........), and if so, how is this done?

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Select Wizards>Restore and then select "Switch to File View". Select your HD, folder, etc.

Not sure if this option is available on all products and free versions.

3. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for your reply. I did as you said, and eventually was given the following message:- 'Please select a place you would like to restore the archive to. Note that if you select an existing hard disk or partition, its content will be deleted and replaced with the one from the archive'.
    This worried me and I went no further. Does it mean that the folder I am restoring (replacing) will be deleted during restoration, or that the whole disc will be deleted? Thanks again for your help.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That does sound like it was going to do the whole thing, not just the folder you selected.

Please reply with the name of your Paragon product and the version number, for example, Backup and Recovery Home version 12. There are various products including a free one and the options, especially with the free one, may not be the same.

I don't use Paragon as a file backup program so I only have experience with restoring full images but giving the requested info will likely get you good advice from someone who does.

5. guest

guest Guest

Thanks seekforever. The product is 'Paragon Backup & Recovery (TM) 2012 FREE'.

6. seekforever

I happen to have the Free version of B&R 11 on one machine so I tried to do a file restore using wptski's method. It works but there is no need to go into File View since files can be selected without it. I think the File View is for finding archive files not included in the Paragon archive database not the files within an archive.

After you Browse For Archive and Select one and click on Next the What to Restore window comes up. If you don't click on anything it will assume you want to restore the hard disk selected at the top of the tree. If you get the msg you got about deleting the hd or partition this is what likely happened.

To restore a file you click on the + under the disk and beside the partition to expand the folder tree. A yellow folder will appear, click the + beside it. Then go down the tree and put ticks in the boxes beside the files and folders you want to restore.

After selecting the data, click on next and you should get a How To Restore Files window to set where you want the files to be placed and whether to leave or replace existing files.

Like I said, this is for the previous version but it should be very similar.

I did get into "delete disk" situation you did a couple of times while playing around but I think it was because I didn't tick any folder/file boxes. In any case, if you get the disk/partition restore window with the warning, then back out, you don't want it; it will restore the whole archive to the disk/partition.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. guest

guest Guest

Thanks again for your help. I did as you said and it worked! I transferred two folders, each containing one file, to a different location than the location from where they were backed up, although the log file (attached) did not seem to agree. Anyway, thanks very much.

Attached Files:

8. seekforever

Could be that the files were skipped because restoring the folder already copied the files.

Now that you are an expert on restoring files that way, there is another way.

In the Paragon Main Window select the Archives Tab if it isn't selected.
    This will display a list of the archives in the database.
    Above the archive list is a drop-down box that may say things like Show All, Show Disks, Show Partitions... Select Show Partitions.

Right click on the archive partition now displayed you wish to restore the files from and select Mount the Selected Archive. This will bring up a box to assign a drive letter to the archived partition.

The archive will be mounted as a virtual disk with the drive letter you assigned in the previous step.

You can then use Windows Explorer to copy files out of the archive by normal Windows means. The archive is mounted as read-only so you cannot copy files into the mounted archve.

When you are finished, right-click the archive and select the Unmount command.

One caution, if you are restoring files to your C drive and have the image mounted the disk label, folder tree and files "look the same" so make sure you are where you want to be in Windows Explorer. This isn't a real risk because the archive is read-only so you can't copy the wrong way into the virtual drive but it is possible to copy files from a folder in your normal C drive to your normal C drive.

9. wptski

wptski Registered Member

IIRC, I have HDM12S and it works but there was something confusing about selecting a file only compared to a folder. I think that I had to create a folder first to drop the file into. Sorry, I can't seem to remember the details!:(

10. guest

guest Guest

I did as you said and all went well until, having said 'yes' to assigning the drive letter, I got the following message: 'Operation failed. Unexpected error with file input/output.
    Error source: Universal Image Mounter
    Error code: 0xe0000053'.
    Nevertheless thanks again for all your help. Thanks wptski too for your input.

11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I remember now what my problem was back then since it worked perfectly today. It was a system file that I pulled from an archive and it won't replace it although it seems to. I had to specify another folder for it to copy to. I then had to go through the take ownership process to be able to finally replace the system file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.