File Extensions

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by tonyjl, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi guys.

Having bad day,this is my second thread in one day,not good. 'LOL' :rolleyes:

Anyway,i started a new thread here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=144643 about my prob with a couple of scripts. This thread is sort of related to that.

Basically,while trying to find a way to get those scripts to run without asking me,i thought i'd copy 'wscript.exe',rename to something else,and try running the scripts with that version of 'wscript.exe',then not bother with using cmd lines. But... windows doesn't understand (as usual) that i only wanted to run those two particular files with my new version of 'wscript.exe' so it changed the file associations so that every script runs of my new version,which kinda defeated the point of using it.

My Q is,if i manually run scripts they will use my new version,but what if i somehow get a worm/trojan etc that uses some sort of scripting,will it use the original or my new version o_O

Coz i remember someone saying in this forum (ProcessGuard i think) that they do this with the cmd file,but i'm unsure how you seperate the ones you run on a regular basis from any new ones.

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi tonyjl.

if i were you, out of the two option you give.. i'd use the third one. ;)

1)keep .wsh registered with unsafe windows shell script
    2)associate .safewsh to the new windows shell script host

then to decide to upgrade a script to safe host, just rename the extention !

I beleive it works.. if you need more detailed instruction or anythign i'll test it on my main system when at home.

3. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Of course!! Why didn't i think of that? :ouch:

Thanks f3x

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

That doesn't work. i get an error msg saying

' There is no script engine for file extention ".safevbs" '

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.