File Errors

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hello again Pieter,
    You don't hang about on this site with coming up with the goods do you? I love it! About Scandisk Pieter, I only ran one 2 days before Seagate test!! it came up smelling of Roses, do you think I'm getting into a Frazz over nothing? I tend to worry abit about these things (I must stop running Tests) I think thats the answer - if you don't know you don't care, right. My Computer and I have only been going out together a short while but I think she wants to Marry me?? :D - Will sort out the File Check prob. I'll be back.
    Best Regards, Cochise. (Good Old England) :)
    PS. Whats this 'I'm a Llama' thing??

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Cochise,

If the drive you tested is a Seagate and their test tells you there is something wrong, I wouldn´t run the risk of having to hit myself in the head.
    Better learn a few tricks in the process of testing if everything is OK, then having to start from scratch somewhere in the near future.
    Have a look at this thread to prevent the latter: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3677 and let us know if there is any way we can be of assistance.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks a bunch Pieter,
    Just got back from that frightening place you sent me to, would have been back sooner but had to go and change my Undies!! in other words, I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about!!!! - You have just proved to me that ignorance really is BLISS and I appear to have been wallowing in it. I don't know whether I like having the light switched on, I think I was happier in the dark. It would appear that I have to get my finger out but at my age I don't think I will live long enough to crack the surface. Why is youth wasted on the young :D - So, would you suggest I call in the Computer Cavalry? The very best to all, Cochise, (Good Old England) Where are you all? (Going on time Difference) :cool:

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

Being not one of the young wizzkids myself, maybe it's better we start at the beginning ;)
    Why don't you tell us what computer we're talking about, what level of security you would like to reach and what you already got installed.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Cochise here, back on the trail, I ran thorough Scandisk last night with repair all - Scan came up with "No Errors found on this Drive"?? - Defragged - no probs found.
    My OS is Packard Bell Pent. 111 - 30Gigs - 550Megs - 128Ram. With AVG Anti/v - Outpost F/W (Did have Zone/A but it messed up my Dialup) - Webwasher - Adaware - Panic/Popupstopper - Cleanit Mailchecker. and File Checker which I haven't activated yet!! Oh! and I've just downloaded a new faster Defrag but haven't activated that either yet. I don't know what else to tell you Pieter I realise you are doing your best for me - feel a bit inadequate really. But you CAN teach old dogs new tricks, so all assistance garatefully received - With Thanks Cochise, (Good Old England) :D

6. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

There are a few minor holes in your defenses, but it would take van Nistelrooij to take advantage of that :D
    We´ll take care of that later.
    First, I would like to know the brand of the HD you tested. If that´s not a Seagate I would discard the results and believe the Scandisk. Or we would see if there is another tool around to get a third opinion.

Regards,

Pieter

PS You can change the "I´m a Llama" line by clicking the Profile button at the top of the page and make your own entry under Personal Text.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hello again Pieter,
    Almost positive disk not Seagate. Ran system file check to-day, 9 corrupted files:-
    mscat.32dll
    mssip.32dll
    mssign.32dll
    cryptui.32dll
    cryptnet.32
    cryptext.32dll
    setupx.32dll
    softpub.32dll
    msoss.32dll
    It asks if I want to repair them from Install Disk, involving backup, renaming etc., and finding a file to put them ino_Oo_Oo_O? It lost me!! - You must be getting bored witless with all this. Thanks for your patience.
    Just say when you've had enough :D :D

Very best regards, Cochise. :cool:

8. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

Some of these might be false alarms: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264865. Better check that first.
    Somehow I missed your version of Windows, couild you please tell me?

Regards,

Pieter

PS I don't get fed up that easily. This is my hobby :)

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Cheers, and good-day Pieter,
    I'm on Windows 98se. I was right about my Disk, it's a Samsung SV3002H, not Seagate, is that good? Oh! and be careful what you say about helping, I could be on your back for the rest of your Life!! - Would you believe my Son (Age 36) is a Graduate in Comp. Tech. but getting help from him is like pulling teeth. The File checker I used is in my Comp. not the Wilders one. Very Best to you and yours, Cochise. :)

PS. Just been to the Site you recommended, all the file errors are the same as mine bar setupx.dll. but that applies to IE5,? I updated ages ago to IE6!! Bye :)

10. Pieter_Arntz

There you have it, to him it's work. :D
    Did you follow the instructions on the site I linked to?
    Regarding these files:
    Mscat32.dll
    Mssip32.dll
    Mssign32.dll
    Softpub.dll
    Cryptui.dll
    Cryptnet.dll
    Cryptext.dll
    Msoss.dll
    CAUSE
    This problem can occur if System File Checker does not recognize files that are installed by Internet Explorer version 5.0 or 5.01.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, click Update verification information under What do you want to do?, and then click OK

Confirming that would leave only three. I'm looking into those at the moment.

Regards,

Pieter

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

I just noticed you changed your post. I don't get notification of changes. It's better to add a new post. That way I'll see it much sooner.
    I can't find confirmation but upgrading to IE6 will be the cause of what SFC reported. No doubt on my mind.

So that should be no problem to resolve now. :)

Regards,

Pieter

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Pieter, What a STAR you are, (Don't suppose you'd consider putting yourself up for Adoption? ;) You hit the nail right on the point....did exactly what you said, in Checker I used Update option.....ran the Check again....not one Dicky file..(HURRAH!).

Sorry about the add-on to previous message, I did'nt expect you to be THAT quick off the mark. So, do you think my OS is reasonably OK and that I can now sleep at night?? and is there anything else I should know about please. :cool:

Many, many Thanks, Cochise.

13. Pieter_Arntz

Well, I mentioned a few holes in your security earlier on.
    You mentioned using Adaware, that was a hole. Getting the new version as soon as available should cover that.
    And I'm missing a program specialized in defending you against Trojans. There are several good ones, but I don't know if you're interested.
    Plus there are lots of other (even for free) goodies to be found.
    You really should read these threads: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5937
    and
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5970

And don't hesitate to ask :)

Regards,

Pieter

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Me again Pieter,
    Looked at your two Sites (Best Freebie etc) left me with a large amount of options.
    I knew Adaware was becoming a bit wonky thro' the grapevine, so if I send it to the Big Computer in the Sky I would be all ears for anything you might suggest to enhance my system.
    Don't get too complicated please (d/l Mailwasher once, never did get the hang of it) :rolleyes:

With Thanks, Cochise.

15. Pieter_Arntz

Well Cochise,

There are two free alternatives for Adaware 5.83 that are worth installing IMHO.
    Adaware 6 will be available shortly, here: http://lavasoft3.element5.com/support/download/
    you can find their forum here: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/
    or Spybot S&D, available here: http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download
    and their forum: http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e36d5457322ffff;act=SC;c=7
    Both are a bit harder to operate than the Adaware you´re used to, but lots of volunteers to help you on the way, if needed.
    Also you might want to consider adding preventive measures against spyware by looking at Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard

Regards,

Pieter

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks for the excellent advice....I'll wait for the Ad-Aware update.......no point in taxing my brain at this stage...Off now to try and assimilate those Spyware Wackers you so kindly suggested.

But, like Arnie said, "I'll be back" At least I'm alot wiser than I was thanks to you. Good Health to All and may your Computer live long and prosper.

Bye for now O Wisemen. Cochise.

And I couldn't damn well do it.

17. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi! Pieter,
    Just shoved SpywareBlaster up the old OS exhaust Thanks,
    Off now to look for other Jewels - I want Animated graphics, I want Smilies, I want to make my poor old 98se look like XP without the heartache, I want.......I Want........I want.

Back soon (with more self inflicted injuries).

Best Regards Cochise. (It's John really) :D

18. Pieter_Arntz

Glad you like it. :)

Have fun shopping around.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.