File deletion

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter_41, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

I backed up 4 GB files to a separate partition so that I could write them to DVD. First I ran out of space, which spoiled the lot, but now I find that I can't delete the files.

I have never seen this before and it's driving me bats. Is there a special way to delete files like MyBackup4.tib, or qtwzdgjmg.wzd?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter_41,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image produces ordinary files that can be deleted in the same way as all the other files. Could you please let me know what happens when you try to delete the file? Also please note that if you have Norton software installed your Recycle bin is protected and the deleted files still persist on your hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Peter_41

It's quite a mess. I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but that is turned off for these offline operations. I have the latest version of Window Washer, and that gives me a curious error message that it Cannot remove folder Motets: The directory is not empty. (That would be small stuff in the form of files for MusicMatch.) It also appears to freeze at a certain point in emptying the recycle bin. The system is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with XP Pro SP-2.

If I right-click on MyBackup2.tib to see Properties - Advanced: File is ready for archiving is checked. If I uncheck that, say OK, say Delete, the message is that it is too big for the recycle bin. Do you want to permanently delete it? I say yes, and it appears to disappear. I close the window check the properties for the partition and nothing has changed - it has 16.4 GB of used space (or 17,664 etc.) and 159 MB of free space. A solid circle. I open the window and it has re-appeared. The file qtwzdgjmq.wzd was formerly MyBackup1 but I somehow managed to convert it to that, and it has precisely the same file size as the others, and the same persistence - I can't get rid of it. I have tried numerous times to get rid of things by emptying the recycler on the partition without any luck.

Deleting large files or folders does appear to be a very time-consuming process, and I ran across a discussion at Annoyances.org that left me scratching my head as to whether or not it was relevant, since I think it was dated.

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Peter - something in Windows have an open file handle to those pesky files. It could be your anti-virus, it could be something completely different. I sometimes get problems like this when running old 16-bit DOS programs. My solution have been to create a "Files that will not delete" folder on my desktop, and drag the stubborn files/directories to that folder (moving the folder/file is not prohibited - only deletion).

Note: If your desktop is on a different drive that the images you want to delete, you might need to create the "Files that will not delete" folder on the same drive as the images.

Reboot (maybe in Safe Mode) and you should be able to delete everything in the "Files that will delete" folder.

5. Peter_41

I am happy to report that someone has suggested a program to me that succeeded in deleting all of the offending files without difficulty. The program is Eraser 5.3, and it was recommended by Doc Watson in Woody's Lounge. They were all erased in a matter of seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.