File Checker went crazy on me---1.4

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Pretender, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

i have no idea what exactly happened at this time. it started with a post at "update alerts:

so i uninstall previous version of AAW and, also, AAW refupdate.  i go offline (i'm using AOL for my ISP and get software update notice from them so i wait it out). when i get offline then i stop most running programs and install new AAW software and refupdate utility again. i clean out recycle bin and do a restart. i start file checker and receive alerts on every file i had listed for it to check. i clicked ok on every alert and then it seemed it started over giving me different alerts on all the files i listed for it to check. anyhow, by this time, i'm not a happy camper. i run norton anti-virus 2002 full system scan and get nothing. no where else to go so i use the GoBack option to revert my hard drive back. and here i am. another thing worth mentioning is that it had gotten to the point that i could access online thru AOL but was unable to open any web pages. guess all of you are quite confused by now?!?! i need to also add the point that i could not get rid of AAW old version by the "Add/Remove Programs" option nor the "uninstall.exe" file from lavasoft so i deleted manually thru windows explorer. All seems to be working okay right now. Beings i'm a glutton for punishment i will probably try once again to achieve what eluded me before and caused these malfunctions. later, bob

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

The new version of AAW (5.82) installs to a different directory than the old version (5.81).  Thus if you deleted the old version file checker is looking for it but cannot find it.  You need to update the paths to the new version in file checker to fix this problem.

Regards,
    Kent

3. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Hi guys

I had a similar problem yesterday, but probably for different reasons.

I also installed the new Adaware.  

First, I removed all Adaware entries from FileChecker.

Then, did the Add\Remove, and installed 5.82.  No problem

Soon after, I reset my clock with Dimension 4.

Don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but shortly after that I started receiving persistent Filechecker alerts on all the files I had listed in FileChecker.

Only way I could stop them was to go to FileChecker\Alerts\Log\Options & disable "File Attribute Changes."

I then closed FileChecker, reopened it, & reactivated "File Attribute Changes."

I should probably know this by now, but is there an easier way to do this?

Thx

J

4. Pretender

File Checker seems to be working after

uninstalling it again and then reinstalling again. turned off all alerts and checksum checking. deleted all files i had listed to be checked. clkd on save watch list. closed program. restarted to make sure all the changes i had made stayed as i had changed them. reloaded all files to be checked and clkd on save watch list. turned all alerts and checksum checking back on. started program and, so far, have received no alerts and all seems to be working okay. still not sure why it all went haywire, but willing to live with not knowing. later bob

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

This is a rather interesting occurance - I'll take a look at it for sure.

What I suspect, at least in mapsonx's case, is the clock reset. That does sometimes cause Windows to do strange things to file attributes.

Pretender, would you mind if I ask what specific messages you were getting about those files? Was it modified date/time/other attributes? Thanks. :)

I'll try to duplicate this on my test machines.

-javacool

6. Pretender

it was all of the above error messages. the errors came one right after another and seemed to hit every file (have about 20 or so) listed and each file was hit with several error messages if not all error messages that are available. i don't think that this is going to be of any help to you. i can't really be more specific because of the chaos of how it took place. wish i could help more.

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That already is quite helpful - but would you mind answering one more quick question?

Did these alerts come up again, for all the files, a second time? Or did you shut down FileChecker before you got every single alert file attribute error for every single file?

Thanks again.  :)

-javacool

8. Pretender

the alerts stopped before i closed filechecker down. i restarted filechecker and all alerts again showed up. a little more info for you. i had all boxes ckd for pop up alerts and, also, had the checksum feature turned on. i had placed the filechecker.exe file in the program to be checked. the other files i had the program set up to keep an eye on were norton 2002 main exe file, adaware and adaware refupdate exe,awr, and dll (i think there were dll files in the earlier versions of adw and adw refupdate programs) files, winsock.dll, msie main exe file, and bitdefender for msn messenger exe and dll files. this is the most that i can remember and as accurate as i can be at the moment. i'll try to help if you have more questions. i see now that there aren't and dll files(o_O) in the adaware and adw refupdate software. that is unless i'm missing something? have fun. all programs appear to be working fine now. knock on wood.

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

javacool - How hard would it be for you to put 'bug reporting' into FC? Like Patrick has in SBS&D?

A feature like that included would let you see exactly what happened when and what went wrong, wouldn't it? And be quite useful not just for FC, but other programs that you may come up with in future? Pete

10. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Javacool

The first time I upgraded Adaware after installing FileChecker, I neglected to first remove the Adaware related files from the watch list, thus generating alerts.

Therefore, this time, I was forewarned, & thought I was taking all the necessary precautions.

The files I removed & replaced in the watch list:

Ad-aware.exe
    reffile.awr
    UNWISE.EXE

The odd thing is, this is certainly not the first time I have used my clock adjustment utility since I first installed and activated FileChecker

modified date/time

My immediate reaction, before I had a chance to think about it, was that the alerts were response to the time change.  

My reasoning was that alerts came for all files, not just Adaware.
    Therefore, what I initially did when the alerts came up was click "o.k." for every one of them, not bothering  to shut down FileChecker.

I thought that would take care of it,  but after about 30 secs., they started again, & I again clicked o.k.  This pattern continued until I shut down FileChecker & did what I detailed in the previous post.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.