FF timeouts?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigbuck, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

That's right. ;) See post #23 & #30 :) https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=392510&postcount=23
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=392530&postcount=30

Try K-Meleon like Ron suggested and I suggested in a PM ... it's based on the same Gecko engine ... it's very similar to FF in almost every respect. It's a really nice browser also. Opera is the other to try. If you still experience problems ... it'd pretty much would lead to an issue with your ISP.

Steve

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Short memory!= Australian!

3. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... don't worry @ the support from BigPond :D

That's pretty standard ... The clown you speak to at most Supports, is simply reading from the supplied manual and usually has zero knowledge on the subject ... so since no one has updated the manual to include troubleshooting for FF ... there's no help. :p

One of the reason behind Forums on the net. :) Where people generally have a clue at whats going on.

LOL ... just like small software companies vs larger companies. With the larger companies you get the same Clown reading from the manual ... and at the smaller company, your speaking with the developer ie. DCS, GS, Javacool ... on and on. :) Now I'm not slighting the software of the larger companies ... just the support. ;)

^_^

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's screenshot of pingplotter.

1, type in the address you want to troubleshoot in Address To Trace e.g. www.wilderssecurity.com

2, in # of times to trace under Sampling put in - 60

3, in Trace Delay put in - 5 seconds

4, in Samples to include: put in - ALL

you will have to give it access with your FW (ICMP rules)

if you run pingplotter with the instructions above it will take 5 minutes to complete.

take a screenshot and post the result :)

if you are on a home network the first hop could be your router so edit that bit out (see screenshot - editted out bit in red)

if you downloaded the shareware version which is trailware you will have a graph at the bottom of the results, your router address could also be there too. if it's blank to the right of "# of times to trace", "Trace Delay", "Samples to include:" you have the freeware version so don't worry about that.

Screenshot of freeware version -

Attached Files:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you do a graph make sure you aren't using your connection for anything else - downloading etc.

6. bigbuck

Thanks Ice! I'll give it a try.

7. Well it could be the firewall you know, so the recommendation wasnt that off base, *if* this was the first step to try to isolate the problem.

With quite a few exceptions of course :)

Cluessnewbie

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi cluelessnewbie, ;)

Well, it could've have been valid suggestion if it was intended as a temporary measure to either rule it in or out a firewall issue as a possibility, but I don't think that was the intention. (BigBuck would have to comment further on that) It wasn't the target of my comment either, it was simply in regards to the NO support for FireFox. But back on topic, I can't really see it as a firewall issue because it's completely random and intermittent. Also it wasn't an issue two weeks ago, and there was no mention of any significant software/hardware changes. But I guess, along those same type lines it could be a home network issue, wired or wireless, if there was any signal loss. But even that's a bit of a stretch.

LOL ... in regards to your second comment. Yes, certainly ... but your odds are certainly much better.

ps. Thanks for mentioning the RIP (Remove It Permanently) extension ... nice find ... I'm just going to play with it now. ;)

9. bigbuck

No timeouts tonight! :D ....and didn't have to turn the FW off! :D Like I really would have ;) .

10. bigbuck

No probs Spanner, I had seen your posts about configuring IE....just too darn lazy! :D I like stuff 'straight out of the box' :) Dumb Aussie remember!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.