FF addon to compare Cert fingerprints

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Palancar, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have sort of danced around this in a couple of posts on various threads. I am considering creating a "profile" or special instance of FF. I run in a sandbox for all surfing.

My special profile would be for the 5-8 sites (like Wilder's) which have https certs and all are private certs. Some may not be totally private, but to the point:

I have looked at some of the addons like Cert Patrol and others like a few here have mentioned. I really haven't installed any and I am just now getting active with this small project. Without getting real technical do any of these addons specifically and exactly look at the cert fingerprint (e.g. sha1)?

Here is what I would want to happen. e.g. I open the FF instance and click on the Wilder's bookmark. The addon/program looks and verifies an EXACT fingerprint match OR I get a pop up instead of an open page. In other words there could be no MITM because the comparison wasn't a perfect match.

I have a feeling Cert patrol might be able to do this. I don't care if the program looks at various ingredients but I really only care to know the fingerprint is an EXACT match. No exceptions. Anything addon wise, or a small program somewhere that will perform that one task without fail?

It will be my responsibility to decide on how to handle exceptions, such as renewed certs, etc...

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.