Few questions:

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by sg09, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am new to RVS, and starting to love this program....I have few questions..
    1. RVS home lux compatible with Avast? I found that it frequently detects files in Avast's temp folder...
    2. Can I use RVS w/o any AV with realtime protection? As it has F-Prot AV inbuilt.
    3. How can I turn off the real time protection of RVS AV?
    4. Is it possible to have a lifetime subscription of the home lux version?
    5. I want to uninstall my present AV, install a new one, and if I like it then I will keep that, else I will go back to the previous one.
    So, is it possible to keep the changes in virtual system drive, until I tell it to wipe that (even if multiple reboots are required within that)? And if I don't want to wipe that, can I ask it to write that to the real drive?
    I tried that already. I told it to enable system safe on next reboot. I reboot PC, system went to virtual state. I uninstall Avast, reboot, and saw that Avast is there in my system. RVS deleted all the changes in my system made during the last session, although system safe was on then also...

2. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

as i am new too i can reply to 1 of your questions: i disabled the returnil av by clicking about/virus guard/real time protection disabled.

as a matter of fact i will stick with my fav av for now (eset nod32) and use returnil only as a virtualization prog. i dont think u will have any problems using avast or other solutions, what i dont know is if we have to make some exclusions so that the virus updates will install to the pc. i guess its mike's time ...

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi sg09 and welcome to the forums :)

Please make sure you are updated to the new build just released this week and then perform a scan. If Avast! files are still detected, add them to your scan exclusion list by clicking the doctor symbol in the alert message.

Yes, but keep in mind that with the Unregistered Free version you will not have access to the RVS VG and with Home Free or Home Lux from a giveaway, you are limited to the Quick Scan mode. If you fall into any of these categories, you may want to deploy or keep your current third party AV to use in combination with RVS 2010; at least where a full computer scan is warranted or indicated.

home screen > Virus Guard > UNCHECK the real-time protection option

No, life-time licensing is not available. The reason for this is that LT licensing is a dead-end. While a company is certain to make profits at the beginning, they will loose when the pool of new potential customers dries up with resulting loss of revenues. When this happens, the company in question has incentives to introduce other means for generating the revenues they require which almost always means a reduction in development and product support services.

We are honest in this and have chosen a slower growth path that will provide sufficient resources for our continued development efforts, but also keep a strong and responsive support system in place, growing as required. Subscription licensing (for us) is not about profits, but about retaining employees who then provide a level of service our customers can count on over time. Relationships between a customer and provider are strengthened when the customer can have certainty about the software and our company without having to worry about the "deal" changing.

RVS does not yet support persistence of a virtualized state across restarts, but it is coming in a future build with our new Multi-state restore feature in development. So for testing a program for suitability on your computer, we highly recommend using a solution such as VMWare, Microsoft VPC, open source VirtualBox, etc. A good approach here would be to create a clone (image) of your current system and then mount that in the testing solutions I mention above...

This is to be expected and what RVS System Safe (in its current evolution) is designed to do - restart the computer and all changes made to the system are gone. As mentioned above however, we are moving to introduce a more robust program evaluation feature that would resolve your wish list item in this case.

Mike

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

thanks Coldmoon and also dr pan k for clearing all my doubts. :)
    I think that detection of Avast's temp files is because I enabled "All Detection Rules" under Real-Time Advanced Malware Analysis Mode. It is also detecting temp files of any incomplete download.
    I have one question more :p

Enabling the System Safe means all changes made to the system will be deleted after reboot. But is it possible to run specific applications (like a browser or an IM) in sandbox other than running the whole system?

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

No, this is due to the fact that RVS is not application based. To sandbox a specific application, the virtualization must monitor at the file system level with the resulting performance issues that constant monitoring can bring.

You can however use application and system level virtualization together (in many scenarios). One example here is to use SandboxIE with RVS (see the many threads that discuss this here at Wilders). They compliment one another and this could be a possible solution for what you are seeking.

Mike

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks a lot Coldmoon for your answer. Right now I am using comodo Firewall's sandbox for application sandboxing.
    thanks again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.